Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Support PF: Buy your textbooks here

1. Feb 18, 2011 #1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2011 #2
    Re: Support PF: Buy you textbooks here

DAMMIT. I just bought like $600 worth of textbooks and stuff right before I saw this post. :( OMFG, so unfortunate.

4. Feb 18, 2011 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Does it work if you then click through to the UK (or other non-US) site?

5. Feb 18, 2011 #4

ah well, next time, thanks anyway :)

Yes it should as long as you click here first.

6. Feb 18, 2011 #5

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I don't understand, why would amazon share the cost of a book with others?
    Unless ofcourse they're raising the price of the books when you purchase through the link. :-D

7. Feb 18, 2011 #6

You are welcome to check :) Amazon figures I'm advertising for them.

8. Feb 18, 2011 #7

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Amazon needs advertisement?!

I believe that everyone that uses the web, knows:
    Amazon,Google, Facebook.

9. Feb 18, 2011 #8

When you are a publicly traded company, every little bit helps make those earnings look better :)

10. Feb 18, 2011 #9
    Next semester fall 2011 I'll buy my books through this (about 400 dollars).

11. Feb 18, 2011 #10

fluidistic

Gold Member

How nice. I just bought a book a few days ago by amazon though for the second time in 4 years. However I'm planning to buy a few more books if I get no problem with the customers of the country I live in.
    Just curious about your link Greg. It redirects to Amazon.com. How could they track I've accessed amazon from PF?!

12. Feb 18, 2011 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Very cool. It applies to other stuff that we buy through Amazon too, right? I buy my jeans through Amazon!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  13. Feb 24, 2011 #12
    Yup, everything :) I think you need a new 60in 3D HDTV too right? :D

Click the link and you'll see an ID is attached.

14. Feb 26, 2011 #13

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The link itself doesn't contain an ID, so there must be a cookie involved. I also noticed that if I right-click and choose to open the link in a new tab (Firefox), the ID isn't included in the URL that appears in the address bar. The obvious "workaround" is of course to just click it. It still opens in a different tab.

15. Mar 1, 2011 #14
    oh you scientists, always gotta tinker around, ruining the fun for everyone. Just assume it's magic :) No cookies though, but javascript.

16. Mar 1, 2011 #15

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it just textbooks, or anything on Amazon?

Edit: Just saw the thread in Feedback - it applies to anything. Fantastic :approve:!

17. Apr 26, 2011 #16
  18. Jul 5, 2011 #17
    As a full-time lurker of physicsforums, I replaced my amazon bookmark with a bookmark of this thread. Before I leave to uni, I was going to buy EVERYTHING I needed off amazon, so prepare to receive 6% of my wage packet for the next 11 weeks (I wouldn't be too excited).

19. Sep 1, 2011 #18
    Fantastic! :)

Bumping thread as reminder to those students about to buy textbooks!

20. Nov 16, 2011 #19
    I would be glad to provide physics forums 6% of every purchase, but amazon.co.uk is so perfectly lousy in packaging their books, that I rely on other book providers. Even more than that ...if packaging is OK, and delivery services did not severely damage the package, when I open a package, I receive a scratched book - like it was already used, although it was advertised as NEW. And this happened quite often... One in every two books are returned by default. Well, at least I have bad experiences with amazon. I don't know for others.. I stopped ordering from them, as I really don't have time to be another Post office, sending books back over and over again... Is there some other online book shop, that can offer physics forums 6%. I'd buy from them, right away (NEW books of course).

21. Nov 16, 2011 #20
    Sorry to hear that! Amazon has always been good to me. You can also use http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted