Surely k-calculus kT is 'mixing units'

• Thread starter pigeonrandle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, James has a question about the k-calculus and is using a diagram as a reference. He is confused about how kT can represent time when it is measured along B, which is at an angle to the y-axis. The other person explains that k is a pure number representing the ratio of elapsed wristwatch time for two observers. The axes on the diagram are not very convenient for the second observer, but the diagram is still fine if the Newtonian and Euclidean intuition is ignored. Switching to geometric units is also an option, but k is still dimensionless in this case.
pigeonrandle
Hi,
This is my first post, so hello everyone!

I just have a quick question about the k-calculus, and am using the 2nd diagram on

http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/System/8956/Bondi/intro.htm

as a reference since it is the same one as in the book i am reading from.

In the diagram kT seems to be measured along B, but as time is measured along the y-axis, how on Earth can kT represent time - surely kT must be some sort of time/distance unit. Surely kT would be the vertical distance between O and 'the top of the kT bit of B' if you know what i mean? X0)

Thanks in advance,
James.

Physics news on Phys.org
k is dimensionless

(It is the ratio of two proper-time intervals... on different inertial worldlines.
Eventually it can be written in terms of the relative velocity between the two worldlines.)

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply :0)

robphy said:
k is dimensionless

(It is the ratio of two proper-time intervals... on different inertial worldlines.
Eventually it can be written in terms of the relative velocity between the two worldlines.)

I see what you are saying, but it doesn't seem to make sense from the diagram...

if kT is measured along B (which is at an angle to the y axis) then surely kT is not just measured in time? And i suppose(!) as T is measured in time then k is not dimensionless?!

Please forgive my ignorance... and eventhough it might seem that i am just being awkward, i promise i am not. Thanks again,
James.

I think you are relying too much on the Newtonian notion of time.

The diagram shows axes labelled TIME and SPACE for the observer A.
These axes help A assign coordinates to events in spacetime... but you can ignore them for now.

The proper-time along a worldline is the time ticked off by a wristwatch carried by that worldline. T and kT are these elapsed times on A's and B's wristwatch's, respectively.

k is the ratio (elapsed wristwatch time of B)/(elapsed wristwatch time of A), assuming [for convenience] that A and B met at event O and, after a short time, A sent a light signal to B. (For example, the webpage says
"PROPOSITION - If A emits light for 1 second, B receives the light for k seconds. ") k is a pure number.At this stage, there is nothing particularly special about this construction.

Consider simple Euclidean geometry. Take two rulers that cross at point O, at some arbitrary angle.
Draw any line segment joining some point t_A on ruler A to a point t_B on ruler B (on the same side of the crossing point).
The length Ot_B is some number k times the length Ot_A. If I choose a different segment parallel to the first, drawn from a different point u_A to u_B... I'd get the same number k (by similar triangles).

Last edited:
robphy said:
I think you are relying too much on the Newtonian notion of time.

The diagram shows axes labelled TIME and SPACE for the observer A.
These axes help A assign coordinates to events in spacetime... but you can ignore them for now.

The proper-time along a worldline is the time ticked off by a wristwatch carried by that worldline. T and kT are these elapsed times on A's and B's wristwatch's, respectively.

k is the ratio (elapsed wristwatch time of B)/(elapsed wristwatch time of A), assuming [for convenience] that A and B met at event O and, after a short time, A sent a light signal to B.

Thanks for sticking with me!

So the axis' don't really apply to B? (in the same way that they apply to A and to the light beam).

And so is there a 'better diagram' that i could use to understand the relationship?

It just seems weird to me that this is a 'foundation of understanding relativity' eventhough the diagram doesn't exactly mean what it shows, and yet the simple geometery is taken as fact!

Last edited:
pigeonrandle said:
Thanks for sticking with me!

So the axis' don't really apply to B? (in the same way that they apply to A and to the light beam).

They are there, but aren't very convenient for B.
An example from PHY 101... if you have an inclined plane, you can set up axis that are horizontal and vertical... or you can set axes down the incline and perpendicular to the incline. The physics will be the same regardless of which you choose... but depending on your problem, one choice of axes might be more convenient than the other.

pigeonrandle said:
And so is there a 'better diagram' that i could use to understand the relationship?

It just seems weird to me that this is a 'foundation of understanding relativity' eventhough the diagram doesn't exactly mean what it shows!

The diagram is fine... if you don't bring along too much of your Newtonian or Euclidean intuition. If it helps, IGNORE the axes.
On a spacetime diagram, the important features are the worldlines [and those of the light rays] and events.
Axes can be set up for convenience [or can be a nuisance].
(Similarly on a free body diagram, the forces and the objects are important. Axes can be set up for convenience [or can be a nuisance].)

robphy said:
Even in geometric units, k is still dimensionless.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Where units might come into play is computing velocity as a function of k.

Also, there are other general situations where the units don't match up (expressing the schwarzschild radius r = 2M is a typical example), this problem is usually an indication that the author has used geometric units.

What is k-calculus and how is it related to mixing units?

K-calculus is a scientific method used to calculate the amount of energy in a system. It is related to mixing units because it takes into account the units of measurement used to express energy, such as joules or calories.

How does kT affect the mixing of units in k-calculus?

KT refers to the Boltzmann constant, which is used in k-calculus to relate the average kinetic energy of particles to temperature. In this way, kT plays a crucial role in mixing units in k-calculus.

Why is it important to consider mixing units in k-calculus?

Mixing units is important in k-calculus because it allows for more accurate calculations and comparisons of energy across different systems. It also ensures that the final result is expressed in a consistent unit of measurement.

How do scientists use k-calculus and mixing units in their experiments?

Scientists use k-calculus and mixing units in a variety of experiments, particularly in the fields of physics, chemistry, and thermodynamics. This allows them to accurately measure and compare the energy of different systems, such as in chemical reactions or the behavior of gases.

What are some common misconceptions about "Surely k-calculus kT is 'mixing units'"?

One common misconception is that mixing units in k-calculus is a simple process and can be easily overlooked. In reality, it requires careful consideration and conversion of units to ensure accurate results. Another misconception is that kT is the only factor involved in mixing units, when in fact there are other variables that must also be taken into account.