1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Surface Area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid.

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the surface area of that part of the plane 9x+10y+z=6 that lies inside the elliptic cylinder [tex] \frac{x^2}{25} +\frac{y^2}{100} =1[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Once again I was just told that the surface area would be equal to the double integral of the area of the ellipse times the normal vector of the plane. Which gives me the correct answer being [tex]50pi\sqrt{182}[/tex] but I have no clue how this was obtained. I'm looking at my book for answers, for equivalencies in Stokes' Theorem that would indicate this but I can't find anything.

Is this because to calculate a surface integral, we must approximate the patch area of S and in this case we can actually find the area rather than using the cross product of the partials of the vector?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you parameterize the plane as

R(x,y) = <x, y, 6-9x-10y>

and use the formula dS = |Rx X Ry|dx dy

you get [itex]dS = \sqrt{182}\, dxdy[/itex], and the area becomes

[tex]\int\int_A (1)\sqrt{182}\, dxdy[/tex]

which is [itex]\sqrt{182}Area(A)[/itex] and, of course, the area of the ellipse is [itex]\pi(5)(10)[/itex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook