Surface area of between 2 cones

In summary: I was trying to integrate over the negative x-axis. I should have just integrated over the positive x-axis. In summary, Sandylam966's attempt to find the area of the cylinder x^2+z^2=a^2 that is inside the cylinder x^2+y^2=a^2 fails because the integral of a(a^2-x^2)^-1/2 dxdy, over the circle x^2+y^2=a^2 on the x-y plane, does not produce a result that is zero.
sandylam966
find the area of the cylinder x^2+z^2=a^2 that is inside the cylinder x^2+y^2=a^2.

my attempt:
parameterise x^2+z^2=a^2 as a vector r(x,y) = (x,y,(a^2-x^2)^1/2).
using the formula given here : http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/SurfaceArea.aspx, I found the surface area = the double integral of a(a^2-x^2)^-1/2 dxdy, over the circle x^2+y^2=a^2 on the x-y plane.
change variables into polar coordinates, so we obtain the double integral of a(a^2-(r cos (u))^2)^-1/2 rdrdu, for 0<r<a, 0<u<2pi.
Solving this i get zero, which doesn't seem right.

where did i go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sandylam966 said:
find the area of the cylinder x^2+z^2=a^2 that is inside the cylinder x^2+y^2=a^2.

my attempt:
using the formula given here : http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/SurfaceArea.aspx, I found the surface area = the double integral of a(a^2-x^2)^-1/2 dxdy, over the circle x^2+y^2=a^2 on the x-y plane.
This is wrong. The area of one cylinder inside the other does NOT cover that circle.

change variables into polar coordinates, so we obtain the double integral of a(a^2-(r cos (u))^2)^-1/2 rdrdu, for 0<r<a, 0<u<2pi.

where did i go wrong?

thanks, HallsofIvy. but i don't see why it isn't integrated over a circle, since x^2+y^2=a^2 is cylinder centred at origin, surely if the other cylinder goes through it, the cross section (on the x-y plane) must be a circle?

I just deleted a post as soon as I made it as I'm not sure it was correct. More later.

OK, I'm back with a little more time. Sandylam966, I think you are correct about the domain being a circular disk and your integral is set up correctly. But there is no way it should work out to be zero because the integrand is positive on the region. So you obviously have something wrong in your working of the integral.

Also, I'm wondering where this problem came from, because the integral you have apparently is not a simple integral. Maple gives an answer in terms of elliptic functions.

thanks, LCKurtz.

here's my working:
the surface area A = the double integral of a(a^2-x^2)^-1/2 dxdy, over the circle x^2+y^2=a^2 on the x-y plane,
so A = double integral of a(a^2-(r cos (u))^2)^-1/2 rdrdu, for 0<r<a, 0<u<2pi
first we solve the dr part, so
A = integral (wrt to u only now) of a[(-1/(cos u)^2)(a^2-(r cos (u))^2)^1/2] du, the integrand evaluated for r from 0 to a, then
A = integral of a(-1/(cos u)^2)[(a^2(1-cos (u))^2)^1/2 - a] du
= integral of a(-1/(cos u)^2)(a sin u -a) du
= integral of a^2 ((-tan u)(sec u) + sec u)^2) du
= a^2 [-sec u + tan u] evaulated for u from 0 to 2pi, which is clearly zero.

so i did something wrong here right?

I am having some trouble understanding this thread. Are we not trying to find the surface area of the shape that comes about from two cylinders intersecting at right angles?

Last edited:
Quesadilla said:
I am having some trouble understanding this thread. Are we not trying to find the surface area of the shape that comes about from two cylinders intersecting at right angles?

hi Quesadilla, yes that's what I'm trying to do, but i think i made some mistake in my working above.

sandylam966 said:

my attempt:

where did i go wrong?

I see no mistakes, BUT a(a^2-(r cos (u))^2)^-1/2 r is never negative in your domain, so if you get zero the mistake is in the computation of the integral which you did not give us.

EDIT: sorry did not see post #6 / sorry LCKurtz did not see your post... time to wake up

(1-cos(u)^2)^1/2=|sin(u)|, not sin(u), then two times the integral from -pi/2, pi/2

bloby said:
(1-cos(u)^2)^1/2=|sin(u)|, not sin(u), then two times the integral from -pi/2, pi/2

oh I see thanks!

What is the formula for finding the surface area of two cones?

The formula for finding the surface area of two cones is S = πr1(r1 + √(h1^2 + r2^2)) + πr2(r2 + √(h2^2 + r2^2)), where r1 and r2 are the radii of the two cones and h1 and h2 are the heights of the two cones.

How do you find the surface area of two cones if the cones are joined at their bases?

If the two cones are joined at their bases, the formula for finding the surface area becomes S = πr1(r1 + √(h1^2 + r2^2)) + πr2√(r1^2 + (h1 + h2)^2) + πr2(r2 + √(h2^2 + r2^2)).

Can the surface area of two cones ever be negative?

No, the surface area of two cones can never be negative. Surface area is a measure of the total area of the curved surface of an object, and it is always a positive value.

How does the surface area of two cones change if the height of one cone is doubled?

If the height of one cone is doubled, the surface area of the two cones will also double. This is because the height is a factor in the formula for finding the surface area, and doubling the height will result in a larger surface area.

Why is finding the surface area of two cones important in science?

Finding the surface area of two cones is important in science because it allows us to calculate the amount of material needed to cover or coat an object in the shape of two cones. This information is useful in fields such as engineering and construction, where precise measurements are necessary.