1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface element in cylindrical coordinates

1. Nov 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\vec J_b = 3s \hat z [/tex]
    [tex]\int \vec J_b \, d\vec a [/tex]

I need to solve this integral in cylindrical coordinates. It's the bound current of an infinite cylinder, with everything done in cylindrical coordinates and s is the radius of the cylinder. The answer should end up with a phi unit vector, but I just don't see how to get the actual unit vector.

2. Relevant equations

According to a pdf on MIT's site, the area element is:
    [tex] d \vec a = s d\phi dz \hat s [/tex]
    There's a caveat, though, as the page says there's a choice of direction. Using this way makes the most sense to me, but if I use this, the dot product between the s and z unit vectors will cause the whole thing to go to zero.
    http://web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/materials/modules/ReviewB.pdf

I've found another site that says to use the following, but I don't see the reasoning as to where the phi hat unit vector comes from.

[tex] d \vec a = s d\phi \hat z [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\int \vec J_b \, d\vec a = \int_0^s \int_0^{2\pi} s \hat z \cdot sdsd\phi \hat z = \frac{2 \pi}{3} s^3 \hat \phi [/tex]

Using the first equation for the area element doesn't get me where I need to be, but the second one does.

Any help in figuring this out would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Over what surface are you integrating? Your expression ##\int \vec J_b \, d\vec a ## does not provide that crucial information.

In your first equation in 2, the integration variables are ##\phi## and ##z##, which suggests the integral is on the surface of the cylinder.

But in the equation in 3, the integration variables are ##\phi## and ##s##, which suggests the integral is a cross sectional disc bounded by the cylinder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted