Surface-image from mathematica.

• Thread starter ladybeetle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
Z^2=1+x^2+y^2, where 2 ≤ z ≤ 3, using polar coordinates as parameters. In summary, the given surface is part of a hyperboloid of two sheets and can be expressed as a vector valued function using polar coordinates as parameters. Mathematica can be used to draw the image of the surface.
ladybeetle

Homework Statement

Find the parametric equations in the surface S therefore
Z^2=1+x^2+y^2 and 2 ≤z ≤3
and draw the image of the surface with Mathematica

Homework Equations

(below 3.)

The Attempt at a Solution

Use polar coordinates as parameters. The surface defined is part of a hyperboloid of two sheets. The condition 2 ≤ z ≤ 3 translates to 1 ≤ x² + y² ≤ 2 directly from the equation.

So let x = r cosΘ and y = r sinΘ where 1 ≤ r ≤ √(2) and 0 ≤ Θ ≤ 2π. Then z = √(1 + r²). Express this as the vector valued function

F(r, Θ) = r cosΘ i + r sinΘ j + √(1 + r²) k, 1 ≤ r ≤ √(2), 0 ≤ Θ ≤ 2π.

I don't know how to use Mathematica to draw the surface.
can anyone help me with it? I need a image of the surface from Mathematica.

Physics news on Phys.org
surface image

Attachments

• cone.pdf
    995.8 KB · Views: 145

1. What is a surface-image in mathematica?

A surface-image in mathematica is a 2D or 3D plot that represents a mathematical function or data set on a surface. It is created using the SurfaceGraphics command in mathematica.

2. How do I create a surface-image in mathematica?

To create a surface-image in mathematica, you first need to define a mathematical function or data set. Then, you can use the SurfaceGraphics command and specify the function or data set as its argument. You can also customize the appearance of the surface-image using various options.

3. Can I export a surface-image from mathematica?

Yes, you can export a surface-image from mathematica in various formats such as PNG, JPG, or PDF. To do so, you can use the Export command and specify the desired format and file name.

4. How can I manipulate a surface-image in mathematica?

You can manipulate a surface-image in mathematica by using the Manipulate command. This allows you to dynamically change the parameters of the function or data set and see the corresponding changes in the surface-image.

5. Is it possible to add labels or axes to a surface-image in mathematica?

Yes, you can add labels and axes to a surface-image in mathematica by using the PlotLabel and AxesLabel options in the SurfaceGraphics command. This allows you to provide additional information about the function or data set being represented in the surface-image.