1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surjective, injective and predicate

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I check if my function is surjective?

How do I check if my function is injective?

Suppose my function is a predicate and hence characteristic function of some set. How do I determine such a set?

2. Relevant equations

Does anyone know to write "The function f: A->B is not surjective? and The function f:A-> B is not injective?" in SYMBOLS using quantifiers and operators.

3. The attempt at a solution

If I have two finite sets, and a function between them. I can compute the value of the function at each point of its domain, I can count and compare sets elements, but I don't know how to do anything else.
    I need detailed, explicit instructions for answering the questions IN WORDS. Can anyone help me to solve this problem.

Cheers mate
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By showing that the definitions of "surjective" and "injective" hold, of course. For example, to show that a function, f, from A to B, is surjective, you must show that, if y is any member of B, then there exist x in A so that f(x)= y. To show that a function, f, from A to B, is injective, you must show that if f(x1)= y and f(x2)= y, where x1 and x2 are members of A and y is a member of B, then x1= x2.

Sorry, I don't recognize the term "predicate" as applied to functions.

I would say that "f is not surjective" means "There exist y in B such that, for all x in X, it is not true that f(x)= y" and "f is not injective" means "for all y in B, if there exist x1 in X such that f(x1)= y and there exist x2 in X such that f(x2)= y, then x1= x2."

You need to know the DEFINITIONS of "injective" and "surjective"!
  4. Oct 24, 2008 #3
    I was wondering, if f: R -> R is surjective and g: R -> R is surjective, then is f + g also surjective? Intuitively the answer seems to be yes, and I can't think of any counterexamples. Perhaps I'm not thinking hard enough.
  5. Oct 24, 2008 #4
    f(x)=x is surjective (and injective), g(x)=-x is also surjective (and injective), what is the sum of f and g?
  6. Oct 24, 2008 #5
    Ah, okay, thanks. These questions come up so often in my theoretical calc class and they often amount to using the additive and multiplicative inverses for counter examples. I need to keep that in mind.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?