Surjective, injective and predicate

In summary: Ah, okay, thanks. These questions come up so often in my theoretical calc class and they often amount to using the additive and multiplicative inverses for counter examples. I need to keep that in mind.
reven

Homework Statement

How do I check if my function is surjective?

How do I check if my function is injective?

Suppose my function is a predicate and hence characteristic function of some set. How do I determine such a set?

Homework Equations

Does anyone know to write "The function f: A->B is not surjective? and The function f:A-> B is not injective?" in SYMBOLS using quantifiers and operators.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I have two finite sets, and a function between them. I can compute the value of the function at each point of its domain, I can count and compare sets elements, but I don't know how to do anything else.
I need detailed, explicit instructions for answering the questions IN WORDS. Can anyone help me to solve this problem.

Cheers mate

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
reven said:

Homework Statement

How do I check if my function is surjective?

How do I check if my function is injective?
By showing that the definitions of "surjective" and "injective" hold, of course. For example, to show that a function, f, from A to B, is surjective, you must show that, if y is any member of B, then there exist x in A so that f(x)= y. To show that a function, f, from A to B, is injective, you must show that if f(x1)= y and f(x2)= y, where x1 and x2 are members of A and y is a member of B, then x1= x2.

Suppose my function is a predicate and hence characteristic function of some set. How do I determine such a set?
Sorry, I don't recognize the term "predicate" as applied to functions.

Homework Equations

Does anyone know to write "The function f: A->B is not surjective? and The function f:A-> B is not injective?" in SYMBOLS using quantifiers and operators.
I would say that "f is not surjective" means "There exist y in B such that, for all x in X, it is not true that f(x)= y" and "f is not injective" means "for all y in B, if there exist x1 in X such that f(x1)= y and there exist x2 in X such that f(x2)= y, then x1= x2."

The Attempt at a Solution

If I have two finite sets, and a function between them. I can compute the value of the function at each point of its domain, I can count and compare sets elements, but I don't know how to do anything else.
I need detailed, explicit instructions for answering the questions IN WORDS. Can anyone help me to solve this problem.

Cheers mate
You need to know the DEFINITIONS of "injective" and "surjective"!

I was wondering, if f: R -> R is surjective and g: R -> R is surjective, then is f + g also surjective? Intuitively the answer seems to be yes, and I can't think of any counterexamples. Perhaps I'm not thinking hard enough.

snipez90 said:
I was wondering, if f: R -> R is surjective and g: R -> R is surjective, then is f + g also surjective? Intuitively the answer seems to be yes, and I can't think of any counterexamples. Perhaps I'm not thinking hard enough.

f(x)=x is surjective (and injective), g(x)=-x is also surjective (and injective), what is the sum of f and g?

Ah, okay, thanks. These questions come up so often in my theoretical calc class and they often amount to using the additive and multiplicative inverses for counter examples. I need to keep that in mind.

1. What is the difference between surjective, injective, and predicate functions?

Surjective, injective, and predicate are all types of functions in mathematics. Surjective functions are those that map every element in the output set to at least one element in the input set. Injective functions are those that map distinct elements in the input set to distinct elements in the output set. Predicate functions are those that return either true or false for a given input. In other words, surjective and injective functions deal with the relationship between the input and output sets, while predicate functions deal with the truth value of a statement.

2. How can I determine if a function is surjective, injective, or predicate?

To determine if a function is surjective, injective, or predicate, you can use the definitions of these functions and check if they satisfy the necessary conditions. For example, to check if a function is surjective, you can make sure that every element in the output set has at least one corresponding element in the input set. To check if a function is injective, you can make sure that distinct elements in the input set map to distinct elements in the output set. To check if a function is a predicate, you can make sure that it only returns true or false for a given input.

3. What are some real-life examples of surjective, injective, and predicate functions?

Surjective functions can be seen in situations where there is a one-to-one correspondence between two sets, such as mapping students to their student IDs. Injective functions can be seen in situations where each input has a unique output, such as mapping a person's age to their height. Predicate functions can be seen in logic and computer programming, where they are used to evaluate the truth value of statements.

4. Can a function be both surjective and injective?

Yes, a function can be both surjective and injective. In fact, a function that is both surjective and injective is called a bijection. This means that every element in the output set has a unique corresponding element in the input set. Bijections are considered "perfect" functions because they have a one-to-one correspondence between the input and output sets.

5. How are surjective, injective, and predicate functions used in mathematics?

Surjective, injective, and predicate functions are used in a variety of mathematical concepts and applications. For example, they are important in understanding functions and their properties, such as invertibility and composition. They are also used in fields such as calculus, topology, and logic to study and solve problems. In computer science, these functions are used to design algorithms and data structures that efficiently store and retrieve information.