Surplus of matter over anti-matter

• Thread starter josephwouk
  • Start date
I'm wondering why I haven't run into a discussion anywhere that uses Feynman's model of anti-matter moving backward in time to explain the paucity of anti-matter in our universe.

Quite simply:

1. The big bang created equal quantities of matter and anti matter.
  2. Almost all that was produced mutually annihilated.
  3. Those particles that avoided their anti-particle took off in two opposite directions of time.
  4. As time passed, they became further and further away from each other in space-time.
  5. The seeming paradox, of course, is what happens when the anti-matter returns to the moment of the big bang?
  6. But since time itself was also created by the big bang, the anti-matter can never return to it, but instead must continue backwards in time.
  7. This makes sense only when one regards the universe as four dimensional and infinite in size/potential size.

There has to be something wrong with this reasoning, or I would have read it. Could someone help me?

Answers and Replies

Just a thought..
I believe the Big Bang created energy, out of which particles and anti-particles could spring.

mathman
Science Advisor
The main reason that we have a matter universe and (almost) no antimatter is that there is some difference in decay mechanisms (CP violation). However at present, physicists haven't been able to put together a precise theory as to what is going on.

Try here for some leads: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman It's at least mentioned in passing.....

I don't think anyone knows why the asymmetry between matter and antine matter exists and I'm unsure if current theories attribute any of that to antimatter moving backward in time...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman

Do you have a reference for Feynmans model?? I have several of his books but nothing on that subject.....