Сurrent through spherical capacitor

In summary, the problem involves determining the conductivity of an insulator in a spherical capacitor filled with a weakly conductive dielectric, with specific conductivity λ and dielectric permittivity ε. The book's answer is ##\Lambda = \frac{4\pi\lambda}{\epsilon} \frac{R_1R_2}{R_1-R_2}##, which includes the factor of ε, while the attempted solution only includes λ. This is because the book is using the concept of "specific dielectric conductivity" which includes the factor of ε, while the attempted solution only uses the specific conductivity of the dielectric.
sergiokapone

Homework Statement

Determine the conductivity of the insulator in a spherical
capacitor filled with weakly conductive dielectric. Specific conductivity of the dielectric is λ, the dielectric permittivity ε.

Ansver in book is ##\Lambda = \frac{4\pi\lambda}{\epsilon} \frac{R_1R_2}{R_1-R_2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution is to use following law's

##div \vec j = 0 ## (1)but

##\vec j = \lambda \vec E##(2)

then

##div \vec j = \lambda div \vec E =0## (3)

in spherical coordinates ##div \vec E =0## leads to
##Er^2 = const##

then current ##I=j4\pi r^2 = 4\pi \lambda \frac{const}{r^2} r^2 = 4\pi \lambda \cdot const##.
Now find the voltage:
##V = \int\limits_{R_1}^{R_2} E dr = \int\limits_{R_1}^{R_2} \frac{const}{r^2} dr = const \left(\frac{1}{R_1} - \frac{1}{R_2}\right)##

Then, from the Ohm's law
##\Lambda = \frac{I}{V} =4\pi\lambda \frac{R_1R_2}{R_1-R_2}##

My answer is differ from book, where have I missed ##\frac{1}{\epsilon}##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently "specific dielectric conductivity" (never heard of that concept) differs from the specific conductivity by this factor of ε.

mfb said:
Apparently "specific dielectric conductivity" (never heard of that concept) differs from the specific conductivity by this factor of ε.
It must be "specific conductivity of the dielectric".

What is a spherical capacitor?

A spherical capacitor is a type of electrical capacitor that consists of two concentric spherical conductors, with a dielectric material in between them. It is used to store electrical energy and is commonly found in electronic devices.

How does current flow through a spherical capacitor?

Current flows through a spherical capacitor when a potential difference is applied between the two conductors. This potential difference causes an electric field to form between the conductors, which allows the flow of current through the capacitor.

What factors affect the current through a spherical capacitor?

The current through a spherical capacitor is affected by the potential difference between the conductors, the distance between the conductors, and the capacitance of the capacitor. The type of dielectric material used and its properties can also affect the current flow.

What is the equation for current through a spherical capacitor?

The equation for current through a spherical capacitor is I = CV, where I is the current, C is the capacitance, and V is the potential difference between the conductors. This equation is known as Ohm's law and is used to calculate the current in any type of electrical circuit.

How is the current through a spherical capacitor measured?

The current through a spherical capacitor can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric current. The ammeter is connected in series with the capacitor and the potential difference source, and the current can be read from the device.