1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swim in Blood

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    I am sorry, I didn't know exactly where to put this. I do believe it has to do with physics but I am not completely sure, so I hope it's OK to place the thread here. If not, I apologize greatly.

I had a discussion at school about swimming in various liquids. I came to the conclusion that it is more difficult to swim in blood than in water, because of the density of the blood - because it's thicker than water. However, my theory was questioned by others, some which claimed that it was in fact easier to swim in blood than in water. Question is - is it more difficult to swim in blood? Is it possible to stay afloat in blood? Why and/or why not? How can I understand the answer this by using simple physic?

Thank you!

PS: Tried to google without any success.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Swimming in blood would be like swimming in salt water, perhaps a bit more sickening though. You'd float better, and so it would be more efficient in that regard. It would be more viscous (and vicious), so there would be more drag, but people do not swim at very high speeds, so I'm gonna guess that the flotation benefit will outstrip the viscosity drag. I know that people swim significantly faster in saltwater.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?