1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Swimming Pools and Related Rates along with Implicit Differentiation

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A swimming pool is 40 feet long, 20 feet wide, 4 feet deep at the shallow end, and 9 feet deep at the deep end. Water is being pumped into the pool at 10 cubic feet per minute.
    a. When the water is 3 feet deep at the shallow end, at what rate is the water level rising? b. When the water is 3 feet deep at the deep end, at what rate is the water level rising?

2. Relevant equations
    None Given.

3. The attempt at a solution

I had [dV/dt] and the volume for part a is V = L*W*H and I had L and W, which were 40' and 20' respectively. So V = 800H and I used implicit differentiation to get [dV/dt] = 800[dH/dt], so [dH/dt] = 1/80 feet per minute.

For part be it seems straightforward, but I do not know how to get the length, since it has change. Picture of the pool is uploaded.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2
    Counting h from the top of the pool you have then
    V = LWH for 0 < H < 4 ft and
    V = something else for 4 ft < H < 9ft.

4. Dec 3, 2009 #3
    I understand that, but what is such something else for L, length?

5. Dec 3, 2009 #4
    The volume of the lower half is a triangles area times the width of the pool; you can give the triangle for example by one of the angles and the height, you do not need to use length explicitly at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook