1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switching careers to Medical Physics UK

1. Apr 11, 2015 #1
    OK long shot here and yes i'm prepared for the "oh how could you be stupid" type responses but its worth a shot.

In the nuclear industry it is common place for companies to have a number of apprentices that work while being put through their degree qualification. My question is whether there is a way to do something similar in the medical physics field that will enable me to switch careers to medical physics while still working in some role in the field and get some assistance with spending the full amount on getting another degree.

I want to switch careers to medical physics - i'm especially interested in working in the area of phototherapy using non-ionizing radiation.

I have an environmental science degree and work in the nuclear energy industry as an environmental scientist in the UK.

As far as I can make out you need a physics degree as minimum and will need to get at least a masters in medical physics even if it is part-time while working.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2015 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Hi Foxfaustinus,

I'm a Canadian medical physicist, so I don't know too much about the process in the UK. The best UK resource that I know of is here:
    http://www.ipem.ac.uk/

Generally speaking on this side of the pond you need at minimum a master's degree, but it's becoming more common for people to go all the way through the PhD to be competitive for residency positions. Regardless, your first step is likely going to be getting or updating your degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook