Switching research groups without burning bridges?

In summary, this third year undergraduate feels frustrated with her research experience because her professor does not have many grad students and his lab is severely under funded. The student is also uncomfortable because she does not have her own mentor and is left in the dark about why her research ideas are wrong. The student is considering leaving her group but is afraid to burn bridges. The student is uncertain about whether or not this is the right research for her and wants to explore her interests further before making a decision. The student is hopeful that good luck will lead to success.
Kandycat
I'm currently a third year undergraduate doing semiconductor research for about one semester and a summer and I absolutely hate it! My professor doesn't have that many grad students and his lab is severely under funded. I don't have my own mentor/grad student and I've been blindly doing a project. I asked for some guidance from my professor but he told me to figure it out or ask someone else. When I do come up an idea, he tells me it's wrong but won't tell me why it's wrong and it leaves me more confused and frustrated. I know I shouldn't take it to heart because professors don't give a crap about their undergrads, but I really don't like being left in the dark.

I really want to go to grad school (at least I want to go for a masters) and I want to get research experience. I just don't think this is the right research for me. I want to leave my group but I am afraid to burn bridges. I don't have that many professors to ask letters of rec. Are most undergrad research like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kandycat said:
I really want to go to grad school (at least I want to go for a masters) and I want to get research experience. I just don't think this is the right research for me. I want to leave my group but I am afraid to burn bridges. I don't have that many professors to ask letters of rec. Are most undergrad research like this?

A lot of research depends on "personal compatibility" and if it's just not working out with your professor, then the sooner you switch the better. One thing to consider is that if you are dissatisfied with your research group, then it's likely that the recommendation letter you are going to get isn't going to be that great anyway.

Kandycat said:
I know I shouldn't take it to heart because professors don't give a crap about their undergrads, but I really don't like being left in the dark.

This statement bothers. Now that I've supervised a couple of undergraduate projects, I understant the other side of things. As a supervisor, when you agree to take on a student, you're agreeing to provide a certain level of mentorship. Exactly what that level of mentorship is needs to be specified at the outset of the project. It is unfortunate to hear that students have this opinion.

What I might suggest is defining a clear end point for yourself. If you've been doing work for one semester and a summer, this might be a good time to call it quits. Maybe you want to stick it out for another semester. Maybe you can define it in terms of a specific goal - you'll work until you get such and such completed. The point in not burning a bridge is to establish a clear goal and work towards that.

I doubt anyone will penalize you for wanting to try something else. Part of what an undergraduate physics degree is about is figuring out where your specific interests lie. The only way I know of to do that is by exploring. It's one thing if you agree to a project and then do a poor job, stop showing up, or quit unexpectedly half way through. It's another to finish it as best you can and move on.

Good luck.

1. What are some potential reasons for wanting to switch research groups?

There are several reasons why a scientist may want to switch research groups. These can include a desire for a change in research focus, a lack of opportunities for career advancement, or a mismatch in work style or personality with the current group.

2. How do I approach my current research group about my decision to switch?

It is important to approach the conversation with your current research group in a professional and respectful manner. Schedule a meeting with your supervisor to discuss your decision and explain your reasons for wanting to switch. Be sure to express your gratitude for the opportunities and experiences you have had in the group.

3. How can I ensure that I don't burn bridges when switching research groups?

To avoid burning bridges, it is important to maintain open and honest communication with your current research group. Be transparent about your decision and offer to assist with the transition process. Additionally, make an effort to maintain positive relationships with your colleagues and supervisors, as they may serve as valuable references in the future.

4. Is it possible to switch research groups without negatively impacting my career?

Switching research groups can be a positive career move if done carefully and strategically. It is important to consider the potential impact on your research progress, publications, and networking opportunities. Be sure to discuss your plans with your current and potential supervisors to ensure a smooth transition.

5. How can I make the most of my transition to a new research group?

To make the most of your transition, take the time to get to know your new research group and their research focus. Make an effort to establish positive relationships with your new colleagues and supervisors, and be open to learning new techniques and approaches. Additionally, set clear goals and expectations with your new supervisor to ensure a successful transition.