1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sylow Subgroups of Symmetric Groups

1. May 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a set of generators for a p-Sylow subgroup K of Sp2
    Find the order of K and determine whether it is normal in Sp2 and if it is abelian.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have that the order of Sp2 is p2!. So p2 is the highest power of p that divides the order of the group. Thus the Sylow p-subgroup has order p2 and because of that, has to be abelian. The other parts I'm not so sure on.

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2009 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure you're right so far? Take p=2, S_4 has order 24, so its Sylow 2 subgroup has order 8. You seem to have assumed that p^2!=p!^2.

4. May 13, 2009 #3
    Sorry, it's supposed to be restricted to just odd primes, in which case I think that still holds, correct?

5. May 13, 2009 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you believe your conjecture, then it is the matter of no time at all to check if it's true for p=3 (and it obviously isn't). If you can't prove something in general try an example or 2.

6. May 13, 2009 #5
    Okay, that's true. Sorry.
    I guess I really just have no idea how to find generators for this.
    I was trying with p=3 for my example and found that 3^4 is the highest power of 3 that divides 9! since there are 4 factors of 3 in 9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1. So the Sylow p-subgroup would have 81 elements. So in general for odd prime p the order of the Sylow subgroup would be p^(p+1)?

I'm working on generators right now...

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. May 13, 2009 #6
    Here is my idea although it may be way off the mark.
    Still looking at p=3, the subgroup could contain powers of 10 different 9-cycles that way you'd have 80 different elements plus the identity. I think that works.

Although I guess we can't be sure that it's closed.

Well, I'm basically out of ideas now...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook