1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A detail in a proof about isomorphism classes of groups of order 21

1. Mar 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

While reading through my textbook on abstract algebra while studying for a test, I ran across the following statement:

There are two isomorphism classes of groups of order 21: the class of ##C_{21}##, and the class of a group ##G## generated by two elements ##x## and ##y## that satisfy the relations ##x^7=1##, ##y^3=1##, ##yx=x^2y##

along with a proof of this statement. The proof looks fairly reasonable, only there's a bit I don't quite understand:

"The Third Sylow Theorem shows us that the Sylow 7-subgroup ##K## [existence and uniqueness guaranteed by the Third Sylow Theorem] must be normal ..."

Specifically, why must ##K\trianglelefteq G##?

2. Relevant equations

Third Sylow Theorem: If ##G## is a group of order ##n<\aleph_0##, where ##n=p^e\cdot m## for some ##e>0## and ##\lnot\left(p|m\right)##, for some prime ##p##, and ##s## is the number of Sylow ##p##-subgroups of ##G##, then ##s|m## and ##s\equiv1\pmod p##.

3. The attempt at a solution

Fairly nonexistent; I can't think of any reason this subgroup must be normal.

(If this post would be more appropriate in the linear & abstract algebra section, feel free to move it there.)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use what they are saying about ##s## to show there must be only one 7-subgroup. So?

4. Mar 20, 2014 #3
    There must be a 7-subgroup; I just don't see why it must be a normal subgroup.

5. Mar 20, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the definition of normal. There is only ONE 7-subgroup.

6. Mar 20, 2014 #5
    I'm used to normal being defined as "closed under conjugation by elements of G." Is there a different or equivalent definition I'm missing or something else obvious which makes clear that only one 7-subgroup existing means said subgroup is normal? (Knowing me, most likely.)

7. Mar 20, 2014 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you conjugate a subgroup, the result is another subgroup of the same size. So if there's only one subgroup of order 7...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted