Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symbolic Vector Manipulation Software?

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    I would like to do something like a derivative with respect to a vector or really anything involving a vector (of known dimension, but unknown values) going in and a vector coming out:

x= 4 by 1 vector
    A = 4 by 4 matrix
    diff( Transpose(x) * A * x, x)

should return (1/2)*A*x

Is there software that can do this? I am familiar with maple and matlab, but I don't think either of them can do this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

David

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2
    If A is symmetric it is [itex]2Ax[/itex], otherwise it is [itex](A+A^T)x[/itex] ! And I don't understand why you can not do with Maple or MATLAB. Do you mean handling vector calculus?

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    ahh yea sorry 2Ax or (A+A^T)x is clearly correct.

So that is would I would like to do, either with Maple or Matlab. Does anyone know how?

5. Mar 5, 2008 #4
    Do what? The whole Maple is designed for this! Please, take the time for asking one exact question.

6. Mar 5, 2008 #5
    Here is one exact question. I want to do this:

with(LinearAlgebra);
    b:=Vector(x,3);
    B:=Matrix(A,3,3);
    f:=Transpose(b)*B*b;
    diff(f,b)

but i get:
    Error, (in rtable/Product) invalid arguments
    when defining f

am I going about this wrong?

7. Mar 6, 2008 #6
    Now, I see your point but I can't give you the exact code because I don't have Maple on this computer. But I can tell you that it should be also related with ">>with(VectorCalculus);". Also, it would surprise me if it works without setting the dimension to, say, "m". Sorry for this sloppy answer but I have to access to Maple first to give a correct answer.

8. Jun 21, 2008 #7
    trambolin, daviddoria, did you figure out the answer to this question? Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?