1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector Manipulation (Orthogonal and Parallel Vectors)

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    Consider the vectors a=<2,4,-3> and b=<4,-5,6>. Determine vectors v and w such that a=v+w and v is parallel to b while w is orthogonal to b.

The dot product of two orthogonal vectors is zero and the cross product of two parallel vectors is zero. A parallel vector is a multiple of the chosen vector.

I tried using multiples of b for v and then seeing if random vectors orthogonal to b can be added to v to give a. I'm lost here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Instead of expressing parallel as a cross product, if v is parallel to b then v must be a scalar multiple of b. So v=tb for some t. That means w=a-v=a-tb. Now w.b must be 0. Try to solve for t.

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    I tried using w=a-tb. I dotted both sides by b, and got 0=(a-tb).b, where t is the only unknown, but I got stuck again. I'm not quite sure how to solve for t at that point.

5. Jan 29, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Distribute the dot product. (a-tb).b=a.b-t(b.b)=0. Now try it.

6. Jan 29, 2013 #5
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook