1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetric Operation in Circuits

1. Mar 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the characteristic curves shown below, select resistors for an H-biased common emitter amplifier for symmetric operation. Show the load line and operating pointing on the graph

2. Relevant equations
    What does it mean by "symmetric operation"?

3. The attempt at a solution
    H-biased common emitter amplifier means transistor is biased by voltage divider transistor biasing ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2016 #2
    I take it you're also in circuit theory with Ens.... super unclear assignment (as usual). Symmetric means that there are both positive and negative power supply rails (rather than just a positive rail and a ground). I haven't figured out the rest of the problem yet either. Good luck.

edit: one of my friends is saying that something else was meant by symmetric. I'm not even sure anymore, sorry.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  4. Mar 30, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

My guess is that it means it should be able to accommodate inputs that swing both above and below the biased point by the same extent before clipping/distortion shows.

5. Mar 30, 2016 #4
    so, you mean http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/amp_2.html the graph under the title "Output Characteristic Curves" that's a symmetric operation?

6. Mar 30, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

7. Mar 30, 2016 #6
    As NascentOxygen "symmetry" stands for nerither distortion,nor clip, which means Q point should be lying in the midpoint of load line.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  8. Mar 30, 2016 #7

NascentOxygen

A google search on symmetrical operation supports what I suggested.

9. Mar 30, 2016 #8
    Hey, Thanks for the help. I think I know what to do next !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted