Symmetricity of exponential graphs

They all say that if you take the graph of y = f(x) and shift it left by 2, you get the graph of y = g(x), or if you take the graph of y = g(x) and shift it right by 2, you get the graph of y = f(x). This makes sense because the two graphs should be symmetric about the line x = 2.In summary, two exponential functions, f(x) and g(x), are symmetric with respect to x = 2 if f(x) = g(4 - x) and g(x) = f(4 - x). This condition can be used to solve for the values of a and b in the given functions, which are required to prove
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

Suppose two exponential functions, f(x) and g(x) are symmetric with respect to x = 2.

[tex]f(x)=a^{bx-1}[/tex]
[tex]g(x)=a^{1-bx}[/tex]

Prove f(2) = g(2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This isn't actually a problem. This is a property used to solve a different problem which I really had a hard time understanding. Why is this true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I might be completely misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but the functions you give are not symmetric with respect to the line x = 2, and furthermore, f(2) [tex]\neq[/tex] g(2). The two functions are reciprocals of one another, though.

[tex]f(2) = a^{2b - 1}[/tex]
[tex]g(2) = a^{1 - 2b} = a^{-(2b -1)} = \frac{1}{a^{2b - 1}} = \frac{1}{f(2)}[/tex]

If the two functions were the mirror images of each other across the line x = 2, it would have to be the case that f(2 + x) = g(2 - x). For example, f(3) would have to be equal to g(1), which is not the case.

Can you clarify what you're trying to do?

Well, here's the whole problem:

The two exponential functions

[tex]f(x)=a^{bx-1}[/tex]
[tex]g(x)=a^{1-bx}[/tex]

Satisfy the following conditions

a)Functions y = f(x) and y=g(x) are symmetric to the line x = 2 when graphed
b)[tex]f(4) + g(4) = \frac {5}{2}[/tex]

Find a and b.

a^(bx-1) is not symmetric with respect to any x value unless either b=0 or a=1. a=1 doesn't work if f(4)+g(4)=5/2. Hence b=0. So a+a^(-1)=5/2. That's easy to solve. Is this problem as silly as that?

Perhaps the question is intended to mean

f(2-x)=g(x-2) for all x.

So b(2-x)-1=1-b(x-2) for all x? About all I get out of that is 1=(-1).

Sorry, I meant of course that the condition is

f(2+x)=g(2-x) for all x.

borgwal said:
Sorry, I meant of course that the condition is

f(2+x)=g(2-x) for all x.

No, I'm sorry. I knew what you meant to say, but I didn't check that f(2-x)=g(x-2) was not the symmetry we were both thinking of. Yeah, that seems to give a reasonable answer for a and b. l46kok, look at how I tried to derive the value of b incorrectly and use borgwal's corrected condition on f and g to get b.

Something is wrong, the answer is supposed to be

a+b = 1 though

I asked my professor and he told me that

g(x) = f(4 - x), f(x) = g(4 - x), since x is symmetric to 2

Now I'm even more confused.

l46kok said:
I asked my professor and he told me that

g(x) = f(4 - x), f(x) = g(4 - x), since x is symmetric to 2

Now I'm even more confused.

Why don't you try substituting that condition into the definitions of f(x) and g(x)?

g(x) = f(4 - x), f(x) = g(4 - x), and f(x - 2) = g(x + 2) actually all say the same thing in a slightly different way.

1. What does the term "symmetricity" mean in relation to exponential graphs?

Symmetricity refers to the property of a graph being exactly the same on both sides of a line or point. In the case of exponential graphs, it means that the graph is mirrored on either side of the vertical line that passes through the point (0,1). This line is known as the line of symmetry.

2. How can you determine if an exponential graph is symmetric?

An exponential graph is symmetric if the equation can be rewritten as f(x) = f(-x) or if the graph is a reflection of itself across the line of symmetry. To determine this, you can plot points on either side of the line of symmetry and see if they are equal. If they are, then the graph is symmetric.

3. What are the characteristics of a symmetric exponential graph?

A symmetric exponential graph will have a line of symmetry passing through the point (0,1), and the graph will be mirrored on either side of this line. It will also have an asymptote at y = 0 and will increase rapidly as x increases. The graph may also have a decreasing portion on the left side of the line of symmetry.

4. Can an exponential graph be symmetric if it has a negative exponent?

Yes, the symmetry of an exponential graph is not affected by the sign of the exponent. As long as the graph is mirrored on either side of the line of symmetry, it is considered symmetric.

5. How can understanding the symmetricity of exponential graphs be useful?

Understanding the symmetry of exponential graphs can help in identifying key points and characteristics of the graph, such as the line of symmetry and the location of the vertical asymptote. It can also aid in graphing and analyzing functions, as well as identifying patterns and making predictions based on the symmetry of the graph.