Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Symmetry energy in nuclear physics

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    I have a question about symmetry energy in semi-empirical mass formula,
    According to semi-empirical mass formula as follows:
    E=avA-asA2/3-acZ(Z-1)/A1/3-asym(N-Z)2/A
    why in the symmetry energy only squared parameter symmetry are exist and there is not the first power of asymmetry parameter?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

mfb

Insights Author
    2015 Award

Staff: Mentor

(N-Z) would have nothing to do with symmetry, it would go from -infinity to +infinity (well, bounded by 0 neutrons and 0 protons of course). And the absolute proton and neutron numbers are in the total mass anyway (this is just the binding energy).

There could be |N-Z|, but experiments show this is not needed. And I don't see a physical reason for it.

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I think absolute values are not so favored... :) they miss nice functional properties. So we wouldn't search for a fitting in | | but in ( )^2 if we knew a priori that something is happening, and see how that works
    Also, I guess, it's because it fits the experiments as mfb said.

5. Dec 5, 2013 #4
    Calculate the average potential energy of a brick in a brick wall of height N. Calculate the same for a wall of height Z. Keep the sum of the height A = Z + N fixed but allow their difference (N - Z) to be a free parameter. Find out the dependency of the total energy on that free parameter.

6. Dec 13, 2013 #5
    Semi-empirical mass formula - Wikipedia has a derivation of the form of the symmetry-energy term. The derivation treats protons and neutrons as separate but overlapping Fermi liquids that both extend over the nucleus.

Ekinetic = EFermi/A2/3*(Z5/3 + N5/3)

One then sets Z = (A/2) + X and N = (A/2) - X and expands in X. The first term in X is a term in X2.

The absolute-value function has a problem: it has a singularity at 0. Its first derivative is a step function and its second derivative a Dirac delta function.

The square function does not have that problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted