Symmetry of Hamiltonian and eigenstates

In summary: I hope this intuitive picture helpsIn summary, this explanation provides an intuitive understanding of why the spherical symmetry can be lost in a Hamiltonian.
Sum Guy
Suppose we have an electron in a hydrogen atom that satisfies the time-independent Schrodinger equation:
$$-\frac{\hbar ^{2}}{2m}\nabla ^{2}\psi - \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}r}\psi = E\psi$$

How can it be that the Hamiltonian is spherically-symmetric when the energy eigenstate isn't? I was thinking along the lines of rotations with angular momentum operators but I'm not sure I can come up with a nice explanation. Can someone help me see why this is the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
It just means that the eigenspaces are invariant under the symmetry group. Since symmetry groups of interest rarely have a nontrivial 1-dimensional representation, this means in practice that most energy eigenstates states are degenerate. One can easily verify this in the hydrogen atom, or in a pair of equal harmonic oscillators.

Solving a differential equation tends to exponentiate things. Consider the complex circle ##2 e^{i \theta}##. What happens when we exponentiate it? Make a parametric plot of ##e^{2 e^{i \theta}}## and you get this:

Screenshot from 2016-03-29 14:29:34.png

Which is not circularly symmetric like its input was.

That's not a full explanation, but I hope it gives an intuition for why the spherical symmetry could be lost.

(Actually, because the Hamiltonian is scaled by ##i##, exponentiating tends to introduce cycling. But the cycles are in the phases of amplitudes, not in physical space.)

Likes Sum Guy
Strilanc said:
Solving a differential equation tends to exponentiate things. Consider the complex circle ##2 e^{i \theta}##. What happens when we exponentiate it? Make a parametric plot of ##e^{2 e^{i \theta}}## and you get this:

View attachment 98168

Which is not circularly symmetric like its input was.

That's not a full explanation, but I hope it gives an intuition for why the spherical symmetry could be lost.

(Actually, because the Hamiltonian is scaled by ##i##, exponentiating tends to introduce cycling. But the cycles are in the phases of amplitudes, not in physical space.)
Thank you for this - it's a nice thought. Is there any way you could apply this mode of thinking to the situation where ##\psi = R(r)Y(\theta, \phi) = R(r)cos(\theta)## say?

Sum Guy said:
Thank you for this - it's a nice thought. Is there any way you could apply this mode of thinking to the situation where ##\psi = R(r)Y(\theta, \phi) = R(r)cos(\theta)## say?

I actually don't know enough about it to do that, unfortunately. Actually I'm half-expecting the next poster to complain that it's a really misleading way to think about a Hamiltonian, so we'll see.

Sum Guy said:
How can it be that the Hamiltonian is spherically-symmetric when the energy eigenstate isn't?
To see this intuitively consider Newtonian orbital dynamics. The hamiltonian is very similar, with a central 1/r^2 force and a kinetic energy term, mv^2/2 - or, if written as in Schroedinger's, p^2/2m. So ask the same question about planetary orbits: the Hamiltonian is spherically-symmetric but orbits don't have to be, why?

The reason is, the kinetic energy term is formally (as written) symmetric but not when we plug in actual values for a planet's initial position and velocity. If those initial conditions are just right we get a spherically-symmetric orbit (circle) but much more likely it will be an ellipse (or hyperbola, but that's irrelevant here). True the angular momentum is always symmetric, meaning: at any angle it's the same. But position and velocity (or, momentum) are not.

The hydrogen atom case is, roughly, the same idea, but it's more difficult because the electron's a wave function not a solid body like the Earth. You get complicated standing wave patterns instead of simple ellipses. But it's still true that the position and momentum (NOT angular) operators will give non-spherically-symmetric values in a given eigenstate (except s-orbitals).

I may be wrong on some detail or terminology, but I hope this intuitive picture helps

Likes Sum Guy and Nugatory
secur said:
The reason is, the kinetic energy term is formally (as written) symmetric but not when we plug in actual values for a planet's initial position and velocity. If those initial conditions are just right we get a spherically-symmetric orbit (circle) but much more likely it will be [...]

Nit: a circular orbit also isn't spherically-symmetric. Good example.

Good catch! But actually I did cover that objection:
secur said:
I may be wrong

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of symmetry in Hamiltonian and eigenstates?

The concept of symmetry in Hamiltonian and eigenstates refers to the behavior of a system under certain transformations. These transformations can include rotations, reflections, and translations. Symmetry is an important property in quantum mechanics and is closely related to the conservation of physical quantities such as energy and momentum.

2. How does symmetry affect the properties of Hamiltonian and eigenstates?

Symmetry can greatly impact the properties of Hamiltonian and eigenstates. In systems with high symmetry, certain properties such as energy levels and wavefunctions can be predicted using symmetry principles. Additionally, symmetry can help to simplify complex quantum calculations and provide a deeper understanding of the system.

3. Can symmetry be broken in a system with a Hamiltonian and eigenstates?

Yes, symmetry can be broken in a system with a Hamiltonian and eigenstates. This can occur due to external influences such as an applied electric or magnetic field. When symmetry is broken, the properties of the system can change, leading to new behaviors and phenomena.

4. How is symmetry used in quantum mechanics to explain the behavior of particles?

Symmetry is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to explain the behavior of particles. The symmetries of a system can determine the allowed states and possible interactions between particles. This allows for the prediction of experimental outcomes and provides a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

5. Can symmetry be used to classify different types of particles?

Yes, symmetry can be used to classify different types of particles. In quantum mechanics, particles are classified according to their symmetries, which can be represented by mathematical objects known as group representations. This allows for the categorization of particles into groups such as fermions and bosons, which have different symmetries and behaviors.