Symplectic Structure of Thermodynamics and the Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the symplectic structure of the thermodynamic configuration space and its connection to classical mechanics. The symplectic structure is preserved under canonical transformations and can be used to derive the Maxwell relations. The analogy to classical mechanics is further extended by defining a poisson bracket. The question then arises if there is a connection between the symplectic structure of thermodynamics and the underlying symplectic structure of the microscopic variables when used with a statistical ensemble. The concept of a geometric projection is also brought up in this discussion.
Normandy
(inspired partially by this blog post: http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/classical-mechanics-versus-thermodynamics-part-1/

To my understanding, the thermodynamic configuration space has a nice symplectic structure. For example, using the language of classical mechanics, starting from P-V coordinates, the 2-form [itex]\mathrm{d}P\wedge \mathrm{d}V[/itex] is preserved under a canonical transformation to T-S coordinates generated by the internal energy U, i.e. [itex]\mathrm{d}U = T \mathrm{d}S - P \mathrm{d}V[/itex]. The Maxwell relations follow from the symplectic structure:

[itex]\mathrm{d}^2 U = 0 = \mathrm{d}T \wedge \mathrm{d}S - \mathrm{d}P \wedge \mathrm{d}V[/itex]
If T=T(P,S) and V=V(P,S) then (for brevity, with partials along P being constant in S and partials in S being constant in P)
[itex]\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P} dP + \frac{\partial T}{\partial S} dS\right) \wedge \mathrm{d}S - \mathrm{d}P \wedge \left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial P} dP + \frac{\partial V}{\partial S} dS\right) = \left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial P} + \frac{\partial V}{\partial S}\right) \mathrm{d}S \wedge \mathrm{d}P = 0[/itex]

The other relations follow similarly.

The analogy to the symplectic structure of classical mechanics can be further extended by defining a poisson bracket (with partials in T being constant along S and vice versa unless otherwise stated):

[itex]\{f,g\}_{T,S} \equiv \frac{\partial f}{\partial T}\frac{\partial g}{\partial S} - \frac{\partial f}{\partial S}\frac{\partial g}{\partial T}[/itex]
Then:
[itex]\{T,S\}_{T,S} = 1 \\
\{P,V\}_{T,S} = 1 \\
\{P,S\}_{T,S} = 0 \\
\{T,V\}_{T,S} = 0[/itex]
(The second one can be proved by setting P=P(T,S) and V=V(T,S) and using d2U = 0)

So my question is: does the symplectic structure of thermodynamics have any connection to the underlying symplectic structure of the hamiltonian of the microscopic variables when used with a statistical ensemble?

For concreteness, take the many free particle hamiltonian, which when applied with the microcanonical ensemble gives the ideal gas equation of state:
[itex]{\cal H}(\{\vec{x}_i,\vec{p}_i\}) = \sum\limits_{i=1}^N \frac{\vec{p}_i^2}{2m} \\
\Rightarrow PV=NkT[/itex]

In order to derive that equation, you hold N, V, and E constant and use S = S(N,V,E) = k ln(ω(N,V,E)) and dU = T dS - P dV. Holding N, V, and E constant can be interpreted as geometric constraints on the phase space and ω is the volume of this constraint hypersurface.

Could the microcanonical ensemble (or more generally, any statistical ensemble) then be interpreted as some sort of geometric projection or something? Doing a canonical transformation on the microscopic hamiltonian does not affect the equation of state or the resulting thermodynamic variables. This could be interpreted straightforwardly since canonical transformations do not change volume in phase space and the microcanonical ensemble uses phase space volumes, but I was just wondering if there were any deeper connections between the two geometries.

Science news on Phys.org
It's my understanding that thermodynamics has a contact structure, not a symplectic structure. Symplectification is possible (especially for quasi-static processes), but I don't know how the extra dimension/variable is incorporated in thermodynamics.

1. What is a symplectic structure in thermodynamics?

A symplectic structure is a mathematical structure that describes the behavior of a system in thermodynamics. It is a set of mathematical equations that describe the evolution of a system over time, taking into account both the energy and entropy of the system.

2. How does a symplectic structure relate to the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is a function that is used in the symplectic structure to describe the total energy of a system. It is a key component in the equations that govern the behavior of a system in thermodynamics.

3. What are the key principles of the symplectic structure of thermodynamics?

The symplectic structure of thermodynamics is based on two key principles: conservation of energy and conservation of entropy. These principles are used to describe the evolution of a system in terms of its energy and entropy.

4. How is the symplectic structure used in practical applications?

The symplectic structure is used in practical applications to model and analyze the behavior of physical systems in thermodynamics. It allows scientists to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems in terms of their energy and entropy.

5. What are the advantages of using a symplectic structure in thermodynamics?

There are several advantages to using a symplectic structure in thermodynamics. It allows for a more comprehensive and accurate description of the behavior of systems, and it provides a framework for making predictions and understanding complex systems. Additionally, the symplectic structure is mathematically elegant and can be applied to a wide range of systems and problems in thermodynamics.