Synchronous Sources and Interference

In summary, the sources should be coherent and have the same frequency in order to have good interference conditions.
bgq
Hi,

What is the scientific definition of "synchronous sources" when we talk about the conditions of interference?

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
Same Frequency and a Constant Phase relationship between them. ("Usually" the phase difference is assumed to be zero.)

Likes bgq
In English, we usually say "coherent" instead of "synchronous" in this context.

Likes bgq
Well, is this mean that "coherent" and "synchronous" are the same? Is it just a linguistic issue?

Where have you seen the term "synchronous sources" in the context of interference? I've never seen it, before this thread. "Coherent" is the standard term, in English-language textbooks etc.

I said "usually" in my previous post because I wanted to leave myself a loophole in case someone actually gave an example. :oldwink:

Likes bgq
Actually, I have completed two years general physics in university, I have learned that the sources should be coherent (talking about interference).

A student in the secondary school asked me about synchronous. In his textbook (translated from french), they say about the conditions of interference that the sources should be synchronous and coherent. I tried to understand the word "synchronous" literally, but I cannot find anything that makes a sense.

It seems from the examples in his textbook, that they mean by "synchronous" having same frequency. But I thing this doesn't make any sense because coherent sources have already same frequency; beside this, I cannot understand how the word "synchronous" could mean having same frequency.

I've not heard the term either. But "coherent" could be describing each source as having a well defined frequency and a long coherence time individually, and "synchronous" adding that both coherent sources have the same frequency.

I guess, anyway. There certainly are linguistic oddities with translated physics.

The text ought to define its own terms somewhere. I take it there are no helpful index or glossary entries?

Likes bgq
OK, thank you all very much :smile:

1. What is a synchronous source?

A synchronous source is a source of electromagnetic waves that produces waves at a constant frequency and phase. This means that the waves are in sync with each other, and they maintain a consistent pattern over time.

2. How does interference occur in synchronous sources?

Interference occurs in synchronous sources when two or more waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap. This can result in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out and create a smaller amplitude.

3. What are some examples of synchronous sources?

Some examples of synchronous sources include lasers, radios, and clocks. These devices all produce waves at a constant frequency and phase, making them useful for communication and timekeeping purposes.

4. How is synchronization achieved in synchronous sources?

Synchronization in synchronous sources is achieved through precise control of the frequency and phase of the waves being produced. This can be done through the use of oscillators and other electronic components that maintain a consistent output.

5. What is the significance of synchronous sources and interference in everyday life?

Synchronous sources and interference play a crucial role in our everyday lives, especially in the fields of communication and technology. For example, without synchronization, our phones would not be able to connect to a network, and our radios would not be able to pick up a clear signal. Understanding and controlling interference is also important in fields such as wireless communication and radio astronomy.