1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of 4 equations in 4 unknowns

1. Oct 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    0 = A+B+D
    0 = A-B+C
    0 = A exp(k) + B exp(-k) + C sin(k) + D cos(k)
    0 = A exp(k) - B exp(-k) + C cos(k) - D sin(k)

Solve for A, B, C, D in the above system. (k is a positive real number)

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    1st equation=> D = -A-B
    2nd equation=> C = B-A
    Put these into the 3rd and 4th equation, we get:
    0 = A exp(k) + B exp(-k) + (B-A) sin(k) + (-A-B) cos(k)
    0 = A exp(k) - B exp(-k) + (B-A) cos(k) - (-A-B) sin(k)

How should I continue??

Just wondering: In a system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns, is it POSSIBLE to have infinitely many solutions? or must the solution be unique?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2009 #2
    Now you have two equations and two unknowns, so solve one equation for A or B and plug that into the other equation.

4. Oct 27, 2009 #3
    But I don't think we can divide by that stuff involoving sin, cos, and exp becuase it may be zero.

Also, I am expecting to have infinitely many solutions because this actually comes from an eigenvalue problem: ODE X'''' = λ X with boundary conditions X(0)=X'(0)=X(1)=X'(1)=0
    Here λ=k^4, with k>0
    where k is solution cos(k) cosh(k) = 1.
    To find the eigenfunctions, I got the above system of 4 equations in 4 unknowns. Since any nonzero multiple of an eigenfunction is again an eigenfunciton, I am expecting the solution of the system to have one arbitrary constant.

Can someone please help??

5. Oct 27, 2009 #4
    If you know linear algebra, do it in a matrix. You should be able to get all unknowns A,B,C, and D. k will remain an arbitrary constant.

6. Oct 27, 2009 #5
    But I think k here is a FIXED (given) positive real number??

7. Oct 28, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's what flatmaster just said: " k will remain an arbitrary constant."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook