1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of linear differential equation

1. Apr 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile of mass m is fired at angle theta with the horizontal with initial velocity of v0 (ft/s). neglect all forces except for gravity and air resistance and assume air resistance is equal to k times velocity (ft/s)
    a) with x-horizontal and y-vertical, show that the differential equations of the resulting motion are:
    mx'' + kx' = 0
    my'' + ky' +mg = 0

b) find the solution of the system of differential equations of part (a).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

there were no similar examples in the book so i dont know how to do part a... and for part b i tried:

(mD^2 + kD)x = 0
    (md^2 + kD)y + mg = 0

im not sure what to do from here or even if that was the right step to begin with

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2009 #2
    The actual set of equations come from drawing a free body diagram of the projectile, and summing forces on the x and y axis (one equation for each axis).

As far as solving the equations...i wrote a solution to a similar problem some time ago here on the forum. In it i used

Force of air resistance = α * v,
    and for some reason i defined another constant B such that:
    B = α / mass

And I assumed it started from a point (0,0) with velocity Vo. Aside from that it should get you on the right track..if not give you the answer :) (from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=241101 ). I also divided through by mass since it is a constant, then the differential equation is in terms of position/velocity/acceleration, something easy to interpret.

4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    thanks for the help

this one was actually easier than it looked. all i had to do was find summation of forces for x and y direction and those were the 2 equations. then solving it was just a matter of doing both equations separately. i was trying to do it as a system of equations, but i dont think it can be done that way since there is no way to even check it as a system of equations

5. Apr 14, 2009 #4
    Thats actually what I did. The two differential equations for the x and y axis are both independent of each other, and i solved them spearatley ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook