1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: System of linear equations with alpha variable

1. May 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For which value of alpha does the following system of linear equations have a solution?

x + y = 2
    x +αy = -1
    αx + y = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

I put it into a matrix that looks like this:

1 1 | 2
    1 α | -1
    α 1 | 1

Then I subtracted row1 from row2 and it made the matrix look like:

1 1 | 2
    0 (α-1) | -1
    α 1 | 1

Then I took the 2nd row as α -1 = -1 and solved α to be zero. So, does this mean that the solution for this is all numbers α such that α is not equal to zero?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, when you subtract the first row from the second you get

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc|c} 1 & 1 & 2 \\ 0 & \alpha-1 & -3 \\ \alpha & 1 & 1 \end{array}\right] [/tex]

Second, your second row tell you [itex](\alpha-1)y=-3[/itex], not [itex](\alpha-1)=-3[/itex]

No.

4. May 27, 2010 #3
    Cool, thanks! So what's the next step? Not sure where to go from here...

5. May 27, 2010 #4
    Can I get a hint?

6. May 27, 2010 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the easiest method is to simply say that if [itex](\alpha-1)y=-3[/itex], then [itex]y=\frac{3}{1-\alpha}[/itex] and substitute that into any of your 3 equations, solve for [itex]x[/itex] and sub those into the remaining equations to get an equation for [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook