System of linear equations with alpha variable

In summary, the system of linear equations can be solved for any value of \alpha except for when \alpha = 0. The next step is to substitute the value of y into any of the equations and solve for x, then use those values to solve for \alpha.
literacola

Homework Statement

For which value of alpha does the following system of linear equations have a solution?

x + y = 2
x +αy = -1
αx + y = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I put it into a matrix that looks like this:

1 1 | 2
1 α | -1
α 1 | 1

Then I subtracted row1 from row2 and it made the matrix look like:

1 1 | 2
0 (α-1) | -1
α 1 | 1

Then I took the 2nd row as α -1 = -1 and solved α to be zero. So, does this mean that the solution for this is all numbers α such that α is not equal to zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
literacola said:
I put it into a matrix that looks like this:

1 1 | 2
1 α | -1
α 1 | 1

Then I subtracted row1 from row2 and it made the matrix look like:

1 1 | 2
0 (α-1) | -1
α 1 | 1

Then I took the 2nd row as α -1 = -1 and solved α to be zero.

First, when you subtract the first row from the second you get

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc|c} 1 & 1 & 2 \\ 0 & \alpha-1 & -3 \\ \alpha & 1 & 1 \end{array}\right] [/tex]Second, your second row tell you [itex](\alpha-1)y=-3[/itex], not [itex](\alpha-1)=-3[/itex]

So, does this mean that the solution for this is all numbers α such that α is not equal to zero?

No.

Cool, thanks! So what's the next step? Not sure where to go from here...

Can I get a hint?

I think the easiest method is to simply say that if [itex](\alpha-1)y=-3[/itex], then [itex]y=\frac{3}{1-\alpha}[/itex] and substitute that into any of your 3 equations, solve for [itex]x[/itex] and sub those into the remaining equations to get an equation for [itex]\alpha[/itex].

Question 1:

What is a "system of linear equations with alpha variable"?

A system of linear equations with alpha variable is a set of equations that includes one or more unknown variables represented by the symbol "α". The goal is to solve for the value of α that satisfies all of the equations in the system.

Question 2:

How is a system of linear equations with alpha variable solved?

Depending on the number of equations and variables in the system, there are a few methods for solving a system of linear equations with alpha variable. One common method is to use substitution, where the value of α is substituted into one equation and then solved for. Another method is to use elimination, where one or more equations are manipulated to eliminate one variable, leaving an equation with only α.

Question 3:

Can a system of linear equations with alpha variable have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of linear equations with alpha variable can have multiple solutions. This occurs when there are more than one value of α that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

Question 4:

Can a system of linear equations with alpha variable have no solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations with alpha variable can have no solution. This occurs when there is no value of α that satisfies all of the equations in the system. This could happen if the equations are contradictory or if there are not enough equations to solve for α.

Question 5:

How is a system of linear equations with alpha variable used in real life?

A system of linear equations with alpha variable can be used in many real-life scenarios, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model supply and demand in economics, or to find the optimal solution to a problem in engineering. It can also be used in data analysis to find relationships between variables.