System of particles passing over a pulley

In summary: The highest point reached by the 5 kg mass would be 10 m above the ground, as it reaches its maximum height when the 8 kg mass hits the ground. In summary, we have two particles connected by a light inextensible string passing over a fixed smooth pulley. Initially held at 5 m above the ground, they are released from rest and do not reach the pulley or rebound when they hit the ground. Using Newton's second law, we can find the acceleration and tension in the string to be 30/13 m/s^2 and 800/13 N, respectively. The highest point reached by the 5 kg mass is 10 m above the ground, and the meaning
drawar
1. Homework Statement
Two particles of masses m1=8 kg and m2=5 kg are connected to the two ends of a light inextensible string which passes over a fixed smooth pulley. Initially each of the two particles are held at a position which is 5 m above a horizontal ground. The objects are then released from rest. Assuming that the particles never reach the pulley, and also that the particles do not rebound when they strike the ground.(g=10m/s^2)

a) find the tension in the string and the acceleration of each particle
b) find the distance above the ground of the point H, the highest point reached by the 5 kg mass
c) find the speed with which the system is jerked into motion and the impulse experienced by the string during the jerk.

2. Homework Equations
Newton's second law

3. The Attempt at a Solution
For part (a), I got a=(m1-m2)g/(m1+m2)=30/13, hence T=800/13
I'm stuck at part (b) and (c) as I don't know the motion of the system after mass 1 (the heavier one) hit the ground and T becomes zero. I assume both masses stop moving at that moment, then the maximum height reached by mass 2 is 10m. Also, I'm not able to figure out what it means by 'the system is jerked into motion'. I would appreciate a reasonable explanation to this. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your answer for the acceleration and tension and, like you, I do not understand what is meant by "jerked into motion"

1. How does a system of particles passing over a pulley work?

A system of particles passing over a pulley involves a combination of force, motion, and energy to transfer the weight of an object from one end of the pulley to another. The pulley acts as a simple machine that redirects the force applied to it, allowing for objects to be lifted or moved with less effort.

2. What are the key components of a system of particles passing over a pulley?

The key components of a system of particles passing over a pulley are the pulley itself, the objects being moved, and the rope or cable connecting them. Other components may include weights, friction, and external forces.

3. How does the number of particles in the system affect the pulley?

The number of particles in the system affects the pulley by increasing the overall weight that needs to be lifted or moved. This can also impact the amount of force needed to move the system and the tension in the rope or cable.

4. What is the relationship between the direction of movement and the direction of force in a system of particles passing over a pulley?

In a system of particles passing over a pulley, the direction of movement is opposite to the direction of force. This is due to the principle of action and reaction, where the force applied to one end of the pulley causes an equal and opposite reaction on the other end.

5. How does the angle of the pulley affect the system of particles passing over it?

The angle of the pulley can affect the system of particles passing over it by changing the direction of the force and the tension in the rope or cable. As the angle of the pulley increases, the force needed to lift or move the objects may also increase.