System of two bodies simple dynamics calculaton

In summary, the problem involves a system of two bodies in a two-dimensional space with masses M1, M2 and coordinates (X1, Z1) and (X2, Z2). The goal is to find the total mass, coordinates, inertia momentum, and angular momentum via the Y axis. After some attempts, it was determined that the total mass is M = M1 + M2 and the coordinates are X = (X1*M1 + X2*M2)/(M1+M2) and Z = (Z1*M1 + Z2*M2)/(M1+M2). To calculate the inertia momentum, radius vectors R1 and R2 were first calculated, then the inertia momentums I1 =
twowheelsbg

Homework Statement

In a two-dimensional space there is a system of two bodies,
masses M1, M2, and coordinates (X1,Z1) and (X2,Z2)

I have to find total mass, its coordinates, inertia momentum, and angular momentum

Homework Equations

... my memories help here, obviously not so good ...

The Attempt at a Solution

total mass M=M1+M2

coordinates X=(X1*M1+X2*M2)/(M1+M2)
Z=(Z1*M1+Z2*M2)/(M1+M2)

Inertia momentum
first i calculate radius vectors R1=sqrt(X1*X1+Z1*Z1)
R2=sqrt(X2*X2+Z2*Z2)
then inertia momentums I1=M1*R1*R1
I2=M2*R2*R2,

and total inertia momentum I=I1+I2,
and here I tried to recheck my result other way:
common radius as R=sqrt(X*X+Z*Z), and inertia as I=(M1+M2)*R*R,
but the result was different which puzzled me ...
I am more close to first approach, but why second is not correct ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I made a step forward,
explaining my mess some questions dropped :blushing:

Sorry first for the incomplete thesis, I just tried to keep it simple.
There is a third axle 'Y' of course, which absence makes questions of momentums irrelevant.

I also comprehended why second approach is not so good, as the system inertia moment
strongly depends of masses positioning ...

So currently I am wondering how to calculate system's angular momentum ( via Y axis ) ...

I was wondering, how can you have momentum if nothing is moving?

Actually you are right Uriwolln, it it more complicated.
Both masses have particular equations and their coordinates (X,Z) vary with time.
My final goal is to calculate their angular momentum via Y axis,
and after it's derivative, which is to be used as equal to external moments
applied to the system via Y axis.

That's why I ask in general how to find angular momentum via Y axis,
hope to complete math myself and not to bother people trying to help me here.

In general angular momentum defined as:
L=R x P
Where P is the momentum, thus P=mv.
Bare in mind that 'x' means cross, so make sure R and P that you will use are perpendicular to one another.

uriwolln said:
In general angular momentum defined as:
L=R x P
Where P is the momentum, thus P=mv.
Bare in mind that 'x' means cross, so make sure R and P that you will use are perpendicular to one another.

Or, if at some particular instant you have a position vector R and a velocity vector V, then L = m(R x V), which can be done in component form easily enough. No need to worry about them being perpendicular if you do the full cross product.

Thank you guys, for the directions, I solved the problem exactly this way -
I saw that words for the physical terms into my writing became links,
and followed them to library, where it was explained more in details how to solve for
angular momentum - special thanks to forum architects and contributors :blushing:

1. What is a system of two bodies in simple dynamics calculation?

A system of two bodies in simple dynamics calculation refers to a scenario where two objects are interacting with each other and their motion is being analyzed using the principles of dynamics. This type of calculation is commonly used in physics to study the motion of objects and predict their future positions based on their initial conditions.

2. How is the motion of two bodies in a system calculated?

The motion of two bodies in a system is calculated using Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. By analyzing the forces acting on each body and their initial velocities, the equations of motion can be solved to determine their future positions and velocities.

3. What are some common examples of systems with two bodies in simple dynamics?

Some common examples of systems with two bodies in simple dynamics include a pendulum, a projectile motion, and a car on an inclined plane. These scenarios involve two objects interacting with each other and their motion can be analyzed using the principles of dynamics.

4. How does the mass and distance between the two bodies affect their motion in a system?

The mass and distance between the two bodies in a system have a direct impact on their motion. According to Newton's law of gravitation, the force of attraction between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that the larger the masses and the shorter the distance between the two bodies, the stronger the force of attraction and the greater the acceleration.

5. What are some real-world applications of systems with two bodies in simple dynamics?

Systems with two bodies in simple dynamics have various real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectories of planets in our solar system, analyzing the motion of satellites orbiting the Earth, and understanding the behavior of objects in collisions. They are also used in engineering to design and optimize structures and machines, such as bridges and cars, by considering the forces acting on different components of the system.