System of two differential equations

In summary: Well i kind of agree, the processes of solving are independent (up to the constants) however the two solutions are coupled because the constants that appear in them are coupled.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Solve the system of differential equations
Relevant Equations
x''-3x'+2x = 0 , x(0)= u
y'+y^2cot(t + pi/2)=0
Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 9.38.11 PM.png

The first equation leads to x = ae^2t + be^t
and the second equation leads to y=[1/(ln(sint+pi/2)+c)]

this corresponds to the system

a+b=1/c
2a+b=1

which has infinitely many solutions. what am I missing here?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
docnet said:
Homework Statement:: Solve the system of differential equations
Relevant Equations:: x''-3x'+2x = 0 , x(0)= u
y'+y^2cot(t + pi/2)=0

View attachment 271647

The first equation leads to x = ae^2t + be^t
and the second equation leads to y=[1/(ln(sint+pi/2)+c)]

this corresponds to the system

a+b=1/c
2a+b=1

which has infinitely many solutions. what am I missing here?
You have no initial condition for ##y(0)## so you get a set of solutions. All you can do is express ##a,b## in terms of ##c##.

Likes docnet
Okay, then

a = 1-(1/c)
b = (2/c) - 1

and the solution is

x = ((1-(1/c))e^2t + ((2/c)-1)e^t
y = 1/[ln(sint+pi/2)+c]

At least I don't see what else could be done without additional information. The second equation is not defined at ##t=0## but that doesn't mean that ##y## isn't defined. But we do not know ##\dot{y}(0)##, so we cannot perform any limit considerations.

Likes docnet
Doesn't look like a system of equations to me. It's two independent equations sharing a common initial value. I strongly suspect a misprint.

haruspex said:
Doesn't look like a system of equations to me. It's two independent equations sharing a common initial value. I strongly suspect a misprint.
Thats what i thought at my first glance too, but then i realized that the coupling is in the initial condition, which creates a coupling in the constants that appear in the two solutions.

Delta2 said:
Thats what i thought at my first glance too, but then i realized that the coupling is in the initial condition, which creates a coupling in the constants that appear in the two solutions.
Sure, but the process of solving each is completely independent of the other. More socially distanced than coupled.

Likes docnet
haruspex said:
Sure, but the process of solving each is completely independent of the other. More socially distanced than coupled.
Well i kind of agree, the processes of solving are independent (up to the constants) however the two solutions are coupled because the constants that appear in them are coupled.

Likes docnet

1. What is a system of two differential equations?

A system of two differential equations is a set of two equations that involve one or more variables and their derivatives with respect to one or more independent variables. These equations are used to model and describe the behavior of systems that change over time, such as population growth or chemical reactions.

2. How do you solve a system of two differential equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of two differential equations, including substitution, elimination, and using matrices. The most common method is to use the technique of separation of variables, where the equations are rearranged and integrated separately to find the solutions for each variable.

3. What is the importance of initial conditions in a system of two differential equations?

Initial conditions are values assigned to the variables in a system of differential equations at a specific starting point. These conditions are crucial because they determine the unique solution to the system. Without initial conditions, there would be an infinite number of solutions to the system.

4. Can a system of two differential equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of two differential equations can have more than one solution. This is because the solutions to a system of differential equations are not always unique and can depend on the initial conditions. In some cases, a system may have multiple solutions that satisfy the given equations.

5. How are systems of two differential equations used in real-world applications?

Systems of two differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. They are commonly used in physics, biology, economics, and other fields to study population dynamics, chemical reactions, and other phenomena that change over time. They are also used in designing control systems for engineering applications, such as in robotics or electrical circuits.