System of two spin 1/2 particles in an external magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating matrix elements for a problem involving Pauli spinors and Pauli matrices. The conversation also mentions the use of a specific basis and the importance of sticking with it. The hint provided suggests using Pauli matrices and spinors, which helps with finding the form of the states.
ConorDMK
Homework Statement
To save typing, I copied an image of the question and of my attempt at a solution. And the part I am having trouble with is part (iii).
Relevant Equations
Pauli spinors and matrices for x.
1620583282775.png

So what I'm not sure on, is calculating the matrix elements for part (iii) with Pauli spinors and Pauli matrices, and then finding the form of the corresponding states. As I don't see how using the hint helps.

1620585307763.png

The following is using the eigenvalues of the spin-operators.

1620584016635.png

1620591350235.png

Provided what I have is correct, I'm not sure on how to get to the form of the states.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Once you have adopted a basis, you must stick with it. The problem tells you that you have to use a basis ##|m_1 m_2 \rangle##, which are eigenstates of ##\hat{S}_z## for the respective particles. You must then express ##\hat{H}_1## as a matrix in the same basis, not using spin up/down with respect to ##\hat{S}_x##, as you are doing after.

Likes PeroK
DrClaude said:
Once you have adopted a basis, you must stick with it. The problem tells you that you have to use a basis ##|m_1 m_2 \rangle##, which are eigenstates of ##\hat{S}_z## for the respective particles. You must then express ##\hat{H}_1## as a matrix in the same basis, not using spin up/down with respect to ##\hat{S}_x##, as you are doing after.
Oh yeah, of course, thank you! It's been a while since I've done this stuff.
So I use,
1620657917972.png

which makes sense as to why the hint says to use Pauli Matrices and Spinors.

1. What is the significance of spin 1/2 particles in a magnetic field?

The spin of a particle is an intrinsic property that determines its behavior in a magnetic field. Spin 1/2 particles, such as electrons, have a magnetic moment that interacts with an external magnetic field, leading to a variety of interesting phenomena.

2. How does the external magnetic field affect the spin states of the particles?

The external magnetic field causes the spin states of the particles to split into different energy levels, known as Zeeman levels. The particles can then occupy these levels, resulting in different spin configurations.

3. What is the role of the spin operators in this system?

The spin operators, including the spin angular momentum and the spin magnetic moment, play a crucial role in describing the behavior of the particles in the magnetic field. They are used to calculate the energy levels and transition probabilities between different spin states.

4. Can the spin states of the particles be changed in this system?

Yes, the spin states of the particles can be changed by applying a magnetic field or by interacting with other particles. This can lead to phenomena such as spin flips, where the particles change from one spin state to another.

5. What are some applications of studying the system of two spin 1/2 particles in an external magnetic field?

Understanding the behavior of spin 1/2 particles in a magnetic field has many practical applications, including in quantum computing, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and spintronics. It also has implications in fundamental physics, such as in the study of quantum entanglement and spin interactions.