1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Systems of 1st order PDEs with many independant variables?

1. Jan 29, 2016 #1

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone know of any books or online resources that do a good job discussing systems of linear 1st order PDEs with several (more than 2) independent variables? I am not a mathematician, but can handle graduate level classical physics with the associated applied math. Analytical and numerical approaches are both of interest.

Thanks!

Jason

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Chapter 7 of Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics from Byron and Fuller might interest you (Green's function method of solving differential and partial differential equations). It probably isn't exactly/enough of what you're looking for, however, but it's like 10 bucks on Amazon and worth the read.

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am already comfortable with Green's functions at that level; likewise, I am familiar with characteristics for wave-like PDEs . I believe Byron and Fuller mainly tackle typical second order linear PDEs like the wave equation, Schrodinger's equation, etc. Based on the table of contents, I don't think Byron and Fuller contain much (if any) discussion of systems of first order equations. I am also familiar with characteristics for solving a single first order linear and nonlinear PDEs, and have looked at a couple of treatments of systems with two independent variables. I am just not skilled or confident enough to try to derive the method for greater than two independent variables. I am interested in learning how to tackle problems that have, say, 6 equations, 6 dependent variables and 4 independent variables (x,y,z,t).

thanks,

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted