1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

T/F The specific heat of copper is about 3R

1. May 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This was a problem I had on a stat mech exam awhile ago and I never figured out how to answer it. It asked "True or false, the specific heat of copper at room temperature is approximately ##3R##".

2. Relevant equations

$$C=\frac{Q}{\Delta T}$$

3. The attempt at a solution

Honestly, I was totally confused what to do. This was a test with no tables of specific heat, no periodic table, no nothing. Normally I would just look it up but I couldn't in this case. Is there a way of deriving this from principles? Or is it something I should have memorized?

Edit, hey could someone fix the title? I should have used # sign instead of $

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. May 18, 2015 #3
    I have literally never heard of that law. Thanks for the resource! Maybe it was covered in the class, but I don't remember it ever coming up. Although it's nice to know that it's something I could have reasonably known.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted