T/F The specific heat of copper is about 3R

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem on a stat mech exam regarding the specific heat of copper at room temperature. The person asking the question was unsure of how to approach it without any tables or resources. The responder suggests using the law of Dulong and Petit to solve the problem and provides a resource for further information.
johnqwertyful

Homework Statement

This was a problem I had on a stat mech exam awhile ago and I never figured out how to answer it. It asked "True or false, the specific heat of copper at room temperature is approximately ##3R##".

Homework Equations

$$C=\frac{Q}{\Delta T}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I was totally confused what to do. This was a test with no tables of specific heat, no periodic table, no nothing. Normally I would just look it up but I couldn't in this case. Is there a way of deriving this from principles? Or is it something I should have memorized?

Edit, hey could someone fix the title? I should have used # sign instead of $

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have literally never heard of that law. Thanks for the resource! Maybe it was covered in the class, but I don't remember it ever coming up. Although it's nice to know that it's something I could have reasonably known.

1. What is the specific heat of copper?

The specific heat of copper is a measure of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of copper by one degree Celsius. It is typically expressed in units of joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g·°C).

2. How is the specific heat of copper determined?

The specific heat of copper is determined through experiments where the amount of heat transferred to a known mass of copper is measured as the temperature increases. The resulting data is used to calculate the specific heat using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of copper, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What is the value of the specific heat of copper?

The specific heat of copper is approximately 0.385 J/g·°C, which is equivalent to about 3 times the gas constant (R) or 3R.

4. How does the specific heat of copper compare to other metals?

The specific heat of copper is relatively high compared to other common metals. For example, the specific heat of iron is 0.45 J/g·°C, while that of aluminum is 0.90 J/g·°C. This means that copper requires more heat to increase its temperature compared to iron and aluminum.

5. Why is the specific heat of copper important?

The specific heat of copper is important in various industries, such as in the design and construction of heat exchangers, as well as in the production of electrical wiring and components. It is also a key factor in determining the thermal properties of copper and its ability to conduct and transfer heat.