Specific Heat Capacity and Thermal Conductivity

In summary, the task is to rank 6 objects with equal mass based on their temperature after being placed in a hot oven and reaching thermal equilibrium. The equations used are Q=mc\DeltaT for specific heat capacity and Q/\Deltat=k(A/L)\DeltaT for thermal conductivity. Initially, the speaker considered ranking the objects based on their heat capacity, but then realized that it does not matter as long as the oven is maintained at a constant temperature.
Sky.Anthony

Homework Statement

To summarize, I am given 6 objects and their corresponding specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity values. All objects have the same mass. The question is asking me to rank the objects based on temperature if they are put in a hot oven until they reach thermal equilibrium and removed.

Homework Equations

Q=mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T (specific heat capacity)
Q/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t=k(A/L)[tex]\Delta[/tex]T (thermal conductivity)

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially ranked the objects from lowest heat capacity to highest heat capacity because I was thinking that the objects that require less energy to raise their temperature will be hottest upon removal.
I'm not really sure how to relate thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity to find out their temperatures after removal... My textbook doesn't help either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
...Nevermind. I realized that it doesn't matter what the values for specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity... if the oven is maintained at the given temperature, all objects will be the same upon removal if they are allowed to reach thermal equilibrium.

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is often represented by the symbol "C" and is measured in units of joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

2. How is specific heat capacity calculated?

Specific heat capacity can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy absorbed or released by the change in temperature and the mass of the substance. The formula is: C = Q / (m * ΔT), where C is specific heat capacity, Q is heat energy, m is mass, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of how well a material can conduct heat. It is defined as the amount of heat energy that can pass through a unit area of a material in a unit time, for a unit temperature difference. It is often represented by the symbol "k" and is measured in units of watts per meter per degree Celsius (W/m°C).

4. How is thermal conductivity related to specific heat capacity?

Thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity are both properties that describe how a substance responds to heat. However, they are not directly related. Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance, while thermal conductivity is a measure of how quickly heat can move through a substance.

5. What factors affect specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity?

The specific heat capacity and thermal conductivity of a substance are affected by its molecular structure, density, and temperature. Substances with higher molecular structures or densities tend to have higher specific heat capacities and lower thermal conductivities. Temperature also plays a role, as both properties tend to increase with temperature for most substances.