1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking a course that doesn't rely much on textbook

1. Sep 5, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am taking my first upper division chemical engineering course, which is sort of a survey class that introduces the various topics and methodologies in chemical engineering.

This is my first time having a professor that doesn't rely much on the book, and in his own terms "the lecture loosely follows the textbook''. To me there is a lot of uncertainty in how to prepare for the exams since there is not a lot of information to go on. The lecture can be written in notes on one side of one piece of paper.

I am worried because this class is known as being killer, and I could see how, given how sparse the information is available to us, and at this level there isn't a lot of tutorials on youtube like one would find for physics and chemistry topics. This stuff isn't on khanacademy

Basically, how does one deal with a class with so little information presented, yet so much expected?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Is this a statement about the lecture or about your note-taking skills?

If someone talks for an hour, that's ~5000 words. It would be unusual for a summary of that to fit in only one side of one sheet of paper.

4. Sep 6, 2013 #3
    You may consult students taken this course in previous years. They may have practical solution for this "killer".

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  5. Sep 6, 2013 #4
    So if one was to copy everything written on the blackboard, one would find there to be 1 side of 1 sheet of paper of information.

I know your next response is to copy what is orally said, but I think that not much more was given. I mean saying in words what the equations say I suppose.

6. Sep 6, 2013 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There must be an awful lot of silence in a class where the professor writes on the equivalent of one side of one sheet of paper and only reads that.

7. Sep 6, 2013 #6
    Does anyone have advice for how to go about taking a class that has limited questions to practice with? I'm of course used to a full textbook with 100 problems/chapter to accompany the lecture.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook