Taking Intro to Differential Equations after a break from school

In summary, the conversation is about an undergraduate student who is considering taking an introduction to differential equations course as an elective. The student is concerned about their academic performance due to a break from school and rusty math skills. They are also on academic probation and do not want to risk failing any classes. The course description includes topics such as linear equations, nonlinear dynamics, and mathematical and numerical techniques for modeling biological systems. The course is offered in two versions, one for math and physics majors and one with a focus on application and computer modeling. The student asks if there are any essential topics from previous math courses that they should review and if the course is worth taking given their current academic standing. The possibility of receiving credit for the course is also mentioned.
koh94
I'm currently an undergrad student who had to take a break from school for over a year and its been around 3 or 4 years since I took Calc I - Calc III and Linear Algebra. I'm debating on taking a introduction to differential equations course as an elective that starts in a couple weeks when I get back into school, but I'm wondering how much I will be struggling or if it's even worth taking. I am Statistics major who's interested in applications to biology/biostats/epidemiology/quantitative psychology, but because I've been out of school for a while and my calc and linear algebra skills are very rusty I'm not sure on how well I'll do in the course. Here is the course description:

Solutions of differential equations with biological, medical, and bioengineering applications. First and second order linear equations, phase plane analysis, nonlinear dynamics, Laplace transforms, and the diffusion equation. Computer labs cover mathematical and numerical techniques for modeling biological systems.

Are there any topics from previous math courses that are essential to differential equations that I should be reviewing?

I should note that I am on academic probation so I can't risk failing any of my classes. With that being said, do you think this course is even worth taking right now?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends. We offer two intro differential equations courses. One is mathematically rigorous, intended for math and physics majors, and students who are rusty with prerequisite material struggle. The other leans heavily on application with a lot of computer modeling. Any reasonably bright student is fine. Math, physics, and some engineering majors can’t receive credit for the second while some engineering majors can.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Just occurred to me. Post the textbook used and I can give you better information.

1. What is the difficulty level of taking Intro to Differential Equations after a break from school?

The difficulty level of taking Intro to Differential Equations after a break from school can vary depending on the length of the break and the individual's mathematical background. However, since this course builds upon previous knowledge of calculus and algebra, it may be challenging for those who have not practiced these skills in a while.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage if I haven't taken a math course in a while?

While it is always beneficial to have a strong foundation in mathematics, it is possible to succeed in Intro to Differential Equations after a break from school. The course typically starts with a review of important concepts from calculus and algebra, so it is important to put in extra effort to catch up on any missed material.

3. How can I prepare for Intro to Differential Equations after a break from school?

To prepare for this course, it is recommended to review key concepts from calculus and algebra, such as derivatives, integrals, and solving equations. You can also find online resources or textbooks to practice problems and familiarize yourself with the material.

4. Are there any resources available to help me succeed in this course?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you succeed in Intro to Differential Equations. Most universities offer tutoring services, study groups, and office hours with the professor. Additionally, there are many online resources such as video tutorials and practice problems to supplement your learning.

5. What are the key takeaways from Intro to Differential Equations?

The main takeaways from Intro to Differential Equations include understanding the basic concepts and techniques for solving differential equations, applying these techniques to real-world problems, and developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. This course also serves as a foundation for higher-level math and science courses.