Intro to Differential Geometry or in-depth PDE Course?

In summary, the individual is a High School Senior who has completed advanced math courses such as Multivariable Calc, Linear Algebra, and ODE at a local university with A's. They are interested in taking either Advanced Calculus or Real Analysis, but are unsure if they are adequately prepared. The individual is advised to check with the professors teaching the courses and consider other courses such as Differential Geometry and PDEs to fill any potential gaps in their knowledge. It is also cautioned to not move too quickly through math courses in order to have a solid understanding of the material.
BillyBones
Hello,

I am currently a High School Senior who has completed Multivariable Calc (up to stokes theorem), basic Linear Algebra ( up to eigenvalues/vectors) and non-theory based ODE (up to Laplace transforms) at my local University. (All with A's) I am hell bent on taking either one of the courses mentioned above, but am bewildered by the contrasting answers I have seen regarding the prereqs. Am I adequately prepared, or will some other classes like topology be necessary?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think you should be prepared enough to take either course. The best suggestion though would be to check with the profs teaching these courses to see if they are a fit to what you know to date.

Another way to get an answer to your question is to see what courses are required for a given degree. You could also look at the course numbers and the course directory to see what courses occur between the ones you've taken and the ones you want to take. Normally they are in a roughly increasing order of difficulty.

Right now I can only think of Advanced Calculus or Real Analysis or Boundary Value problems as courses taken before these courses.

You could also check the books used in the courses and from the table of contents see if there's any gap in your math knowledge.

Years ago at my college, I took Tensor Analysis which amounted to an extension of Vector Analysis. It seems that you've studied that somewhat with the Divergence theorem and Stoke's theorem sans the tensor notation so that might be a good fit. Are you familiar with coordinate transformations, the Jacobian of transformation and tensor notation? These would come up in Differential Geometry and possibly the PDE course.

Here's a summary/introduction to Differential Geometry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_geometry_of_surfaces

and to PDEs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_differential_equation

I would also caution you about moving too fast through your math courses. You should keep pace with the teacher and dig deeper into the material so that you have a solid understanding of the material. Things get progressively faster and more focused as you move up the academic chain where 1 year of college is about 3 years of high school and 1 year of grad school is like 3 years of undergrad.

I made this mistake testing out of Calculus and began to hit a brick wall in my Junior year as things got a lot tougher and my math skills weren't at the level of the seniors in the courses I was taking. The end result is poorer grades and shallow understanding. I didn't care at the time as I felt grades weren't that important but in the private sector when you go for jobs these grades can pop up in interviews. And when applying to grad school the grades are one indicator of academic success so you want them to be the best possible.

Related to Intro to Differential Geometry or in-depth PDE Course?

1. What is the difference between differential geometry and PDE?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using concepts from calculus and linear algebra. PDE (partial differential equations) is a mathematical method used to describe and analyze physical phenomena, such as heat flow and wave propagation, through equations involving multiple variables and their partial derivatives. While both fields use similar mathematical tools, differential geometry focuses on the geometric properties of curves and surfaces, while PDEs are used to model physical processes.

2. What are some real-world applications of differential geometry and PDE?

Differential geometry has applications in many fields, including physics, engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. For example, it is used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models of objects and in robotics to plan the motions of robotic arms. PDEs are used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and structural mechanics, to model and solve complex problems.

3. Is prior knowledge of calculus required for understanding differential geometry and PDE?

Yes, a strong understanding of calculus is necessary for both differential geometry and PDEs. Differential geometry uses concepts from multivariable calculus, such as derivatives, integrals, and vector calculus, to study curves and surfaces. PDEs also involve the use of derivatives and integrals, as well as other advanced mathematical techniques.

4. What are some common techniques used in studying differential geometry and PDE?

In differential geometry, common techniques include using parametric equations to define curves and surfaces, calculating curvature and torsion, and using differential equations to describe geometric properties. In PDEs, common techniques include separation of variables, numerical methods, and Fourier transforms, among others.

5. Are there any open problems or current research topics in differential geometry and PDE?

Yes, there are many open problems and current research topics in both fields. In differential geometry, some current areas of research include the study of non-Euclidean geometries, geometric analysis, and geometric topology. In PDEs, current research topics include the study of nonlinear and stochastic equations, as well as applications in mathematical biology and finance.