Taking Intro to Linear Algebra, Probability, and Vector Calc in same semester?

In summary, taking more than 2 math classes in one semester is madness. You should be able to take more classes at this point.
nickadams
Hi, is it a bad idea to take

Intro to Linear Algebra
Vector Calc for Applications (Marsden)
Intro to Probability (book called first course in probability by ross)

.. in the same semester?

This semester I took discrete math and Calc 1 at the same time and it was pretty time consuming but that is partially because I like to spend a lot of time "playing around" with problems and concepts in the books that were not covered in class; making up problems etc.

The vector calc class is mostly for engineering majors but I feel it would help me prepare for the class "marsden basic complex analysis" for which ODE or vector cal is a prereq. (I took ODE in summer school a long time ago and forgot it all)Many people recommend taking no more than 2 math classes per semester and I agree because I like being able to devote a lot of time getting comfortable with the material (asking supplementary questions in office hours and such) but what do I fill the rest of my schedule with? I already finished the general education requirements and I'd like to spend most of my studying time on math rather than some filler courses that I put on my schedule just to remain a full-time student but it would not be plausible at all for me to have 4 math courses per semester especially as i get into harder and harder math.. So what to do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not taking more than 2 classes in one semester is madness. You should be able to take more classes at this point. If you're planning to go to grad school, then you will have to take (about) 4 classes each semester anyway, so you should get used to it.

I'm wondering if you need linear algebra for vector calculus. Is linear algebra a prereq for vector calculus?? In any case, I think you should know some things about matrices and determinants before taking vector calculus, it'll make things much easier.

micromass said:
Not taking more than 2 classes in one semester is madness. You should be able to take more classes at this point. If you're planning to go to grad school, then you will have to take (about) 4 classes each semester anyway, so you should get used to it.

I'm wondering if you need linear algebra for vector calculus. Is linear algebra a prereq for vector calculus?? In any case, I think you should know some things about matrices and determinants before taking vector calculus, it'll make things much easier.

mathwonk said in a thread a while ago that it is a bad idea to take more than 2 math classes in a semester, but he was probably thinking of upper-level harvard-difficulty classes not state school probability courses and the like :tongue:.And the proposed semester (vector calc, probability, LA) is only my second semester of taking math classes so how can you say "you should be able to take more classes at this point"? Does it typically only take 1 semester to get to the point where one can manage 3 math classes at a time? Keep in mind that high school where I live is not as rigourous as where you are from most likely and I came to college with poor study habits and 0 math knowledge.And LA is not a prereq for vector calc for applications. Here is the description of that course:

Topics include matrices, elements of vector analysis and calculus functions of several variables, including gradient, divergence, and curl of a vector field, multiple integrals and chain rules, length and area, line and surface integrals, Greens theorem in the plane and space. If time permits, topics in complex analysis may be included. This course has three lectures and two problem sessions each week. It is anticipated that most students will be engineering majors. Five sessions a week for one semester.
I guess it is better to get used to taking 3 courses now with these easier classes than it would be to try to start taking 3 later on.. THanks

1. What is the difficulty level of taking all three courses in the same semester?

The difficulty level of taking Intro to Linear Algebra, Probability, and Vector Calc in the same semester can vary depending on the individual's prior knowledge and study habits. However, these courses are typically considered to be on the more challenging side due to their complex mathematical concepts.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying for these courses?

It is recommended to dedicate a significant amount of time to studying for these courses, as they require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and frequent practice to master. Aim for at least 2-3 hours of studying per week for each course.

3. Are there any prerequisites for these courses?

Yes, there are typically prerequisites for these courses, such as a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the course syllabus to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge before enrolling in these courses.

4. Is it common for students to take all three courses in the same semester?

Yes, it is common for students in a scientific or mathematical field to take all three courses in the same semester. However, it is important to consider your own workload and abilities before committing to taking all three courses at once.

5. How can I best prepare for these courses?

To prepare for these courses, it is recommended to review and solidify your understanding of algebra and trigonometry concepts. You can also preview course materials and practice problems before the semester begins. Additionally, staying organized and managing your time effectively throughout the semester will help you succeed in these challenging courses.