Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking physics and dealing with depression/anxiety

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    I suffer from serious bouts of depression/anxiety that come and go for no obvious reason. I started physics this year and its hit me half way through the semester. I made a doc appointment to fix this and Im afraid it will hurt me academically if its not fixed and I wont be able to do awesome things. Just wondering if anyone else has successfully dealt with depression/anxiety while taking on a difficult subject like physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes, although my field is applied mathematics, not physics.

4. Oct 30, 2016 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

To consult a doc is a good idea, preferably a neurologist, since a normal doc probably won't prescribe the real stuff. Their are a lot of drugs out there, that can help. But it takes some time to find out which and in which dose. The latter possibly will be the difficult part. In any case you should insist on drugs, that don't get you addicted. Read about them in Wikipedia.

A secure, however restricted possibility is to use music to influence your moods. But we careful, it works in both directions. And as always in these cases: sports helps a lot. (Not that I followed my own advice here ...)

5. Oct 30, 2016 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In addition to the above, which is good advice (we seem to agree on frighteningly many things today, Fresh), I would also caution against thinking this is something you can quickly "fix". When you see your doctor and something indeed turns out to be wrong, do give it time and energy (and proper medical attention, obviously) to become better.

6. Oct 30, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Lol. Although in this case it's probably a matter of experience of life. The number of taboos is shrinking by the years.

7. Oct 30, 2016 #6
    I don't know about anywhere else, but in the US Neurologists don't treat depression. It's the province of psychiatrists and/or therapists.

8. Oct 30, 2016 #7
    How severe? A doctor may recommend therapy, medication, or a combination of both. Does your university have student support in terms of health and counselling?

9. Oct 30, 2016 #8

fresh_42

Here they do, if it can be fixed chemically. Or at least they are allowed to do. Of course with the advice to also go to a psychiatrist and sometimes they practice in combination with those. In difficult or urgent cases, it is useful to spend some days or weeks in a clinic to adjust medication. However, in a clinic they often use addictive drugs like diazepam to set a basis on which to treat people further. Normal docs on the other hand don't like to prescribe effective drugs as they are not specialized. That was basically the reason I wrote neurologist plus the fact, that it is often difficult to get on a therapist's schedule in a reasonable time.

10. Oct 30, 2016 #9
    When I have it its pretty bad, pretty much dysfunctional, its very frustrating. Ive tried a couple times with meds in the past but it didnt work very well. They do and Im signed up, the wait is weeks long though.

11. Oct 30, 2016 #10
    Thats interesting, didnt know that about neurologists.

12. Oct 30, 2016 #11

fresh_42

But that's the situation in Germany, and as zoobyshoe pointed out, the situation in the US is obviously another.

13. Oct 30, 2016 #12

Evo

See a doctor, they can determine if you need medication for depression (clinically depressed) or if you are just feeling depressed because of situations in your life. We cannot make those determinations. Good luck to you. Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook