Taking the limit of a complex function

In summary, the problem is to find the limit of a complex function as z approaches i. There are several ways to approach this, including expanding the function and plugging in values for x and y, or using the fact that polynomials are continuous on the complex numbers. In the end, the limit is found to be 0.
mancini0

Homework Statement

Hi guys. I was hoping you could help me find the limit of a complex function. So here goes:

The lim z --> i of [i(z)^3 - 1 ] / (z+i)

The Attempt at a Solution

If z approaches i, then (x,y) approaches (0,1)

Do I let z = x+iy, then expand out the cube and plug in 0's for x's and 1's for y's in one limit?

Or do I do two limits, one letting x go to 0, the other letting y go to one and compare these two limits?

Or do I just plug in i for z right off the bat and expand that out?

Basically, how is it possible to test the limit from every approach in the complex plane without doing some
kind of epsilon / delta proof.

Thank you very much if you respond.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you write out that function correctly, because it seems that it is not an indeterminant form and just approaches 0. Maybe the bottom is supposed to be z-i?

Well the question actually asks evaluate the limit or explain why it doesn't exist. So perhaps it doesn't exist.

It does exist, but it's the quotient of two continuous functions, and the denominator does not approach 0, so that makes it very simple. Do you know anything about the limit of the quotient of continuous functions?

Thank you very much. Yes, the limit of the quotient of two continuous functions is just the quotient of the limits.

But if I plug in i for z (since the function is continuous about i) I get:
i*i^3 - 1 / (i +i)

= i^4 -1 / 2i

= 0 / 2i = 0.

But if I take the limit as x,y approaches (0,1), where z = x+iy, I get:

lim x,y --> 0,1 of [ i(x+iy)^3 -1 ] / x+i(y+1)

expanding the cube leaves:
ix^3 -x^2y -iy^2x +y^3 -2x^2y -2ixy^2 / x+i(y+1)

From here, if I plug in x = 0 and y =1 simultaneously, i get 1 / 2i
which is not the result I expected, since plugging in i for z originally gave zero.

Last edited:
You forgot the -1 at the end in the numerator

Ahhh, I did. Thank you. But aren't there many ways for x,y to approach 0,1 on the complex plane? Haven't I only checked one of these directions?

There are many ways, but I'm assuming you already know that polynomials are continuous on the complex numbers. Proving that polynomials are continuous would require an epsilon-delta proof. As an example of how this is done, look at z2 and prove that it is continuous:
[tex]|z^2-z_{0}^2| = |(z-z_0)^2 + 2zz_0 - 2z_{0}^2|\leq |z-z_0|^2 + 2z_0|z-z_0|[/tex]
In the complex plane what it means for 2 numbers to be close together is that |z-z0| is very small, so this is what we call delta in this context. There are two terms that we need to make sure are small, so let's make sure both contribute less than epsilon/2 by taking
[tex]\delta = min(\frac{1}{2},\frac{\epsilon}{2},\frac{\epsilon}{4z_0})[/tex]
(The half is in there to make sure [itex]\delta^2<\frac{\epsilon}{2}[/itex] when [itex]\epsilon>1[/itex])
so now
[tex]|z^2-z_{0}^2| \leq \frac{\epsilon}{2} + \frac{\epsilon}{2} = \epsilon[/tex]

What is the definition of taking the limit of a complex function?

The limit of a complex function is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific point. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and is used to find the value that a function approaches as its input gets closer and closer to a given point.

Why is taking the limit of a complex function important?

Taking the limit of a complex function is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point, even when that point is not included in the domain of the function. This is especially useful in calculus and other areas of mathematics where we need to find precise values or make approximations.

How do you find the limit of a complex function?

To find the limit of a complex function, you can use various methods such as direct substitution, factoring, or using L'Hopital's rule. It is important to first check if the function is continuous at the given point, and if not, use these methods to evaluate the limit.

What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as its input approaches a given point from one direction, either from the left or from the right. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of a function as its input approaches the given point from both directions. This is important because the limit may be different depending on the direction of approach.

Can the limit of a complex function exist if the function is not defined at the given point?

Yes, the limit of a complex function can exist even if the function is not defined at the given point. This is because the limit only looks at the behavior of the function near the given point and does not depend on the actual value of the function at that point. However, it is important to note that the function must still be continuous at the given point for the limit to exist.