Taking the math gre as a hopeful astro grad student

In summary, the individual is currently double majoring in math and astrophysics and plans to pursue a Ph.D in theoretical astrophysics. They are considering taking the math GRE in addition to the Physics GRE, but are unsure if it would be beneficial for astrophysics programs. They are seeking advice on whether or not to spend time studying for the math GRE. It is mentioned that math GRE scores may not hold much weight unless specifically requested by the department.
kmccorm
Hi everyone,

I am currently double majoring in math and astrophysics and am hoping to pursue a Ph.D in theoretical astrophysics after my undergraduate career. I am planning on taking the Physics GRE (of course), but was wondering if it would be beneficial to also take the math GRE. Would astrophysics programs even look at my math GRE scores? If so, is it worth sacrificing time that could be spent preparing for the physics GRE to study for the math GRE?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody have thoughts on this? I'd love some advice.

If the department doesn't ask for it, expect it to carry very little weight.

1. How important is the Math GRE for getting into a graduate program in astronomy?

The Math GRE is one of the factors that is considered when applying to graduate programs in astronomy. It is not the only factor, but a strong score can help demonstrate your quantitative skills and potential for success in a rigorous research program.

2. What is a good score on the Math GRE for an aspiring astro grad student?

A good score on the Math GRE for an aspiring astro grad student is typically in the 80th percentile or above. However, it is important to keep in mind that a strong overall application, including research experience and letters of recommendation, is also crucial for admission to a graduate program in astronomy.

3. Do I need to have a background in advanced math to do well on the Math GRE?

While a strong background in math can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to have taken advanced math courses in order to do well on the Math GRE. The exam primarily tests your ability to reason and problem solve, rather than specific math knowledge.

4. What topics are covered on the Math GRE that are relevant to astrophysics?

The Math GRE covers a wide range of topics, including algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics. While there may not be specific questions directly related to astrophysics, the concepts and problem solving skills tested on the exam are applicable to many areas of science, including astrophysics.

5. Can I retake the Math GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the Math GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, it is important to carefully consider whether this is necessary and if you have enough time to adequately prepare for a retake. Some graduate programs may also only consider your highest score, while others may take an average of all your scores.