Tangent planes and normal vectors

In summary: Check out the dot product of the tangent plane with the normal vector:[itex]fx=3x2y2-z[/itex]So, the normal vector is pointing perpendicular to the line connecting the point (x,y,z) to the origin.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

Find all points on the surface at which the tangent plane is horizontal

z=x3y2

Things I know:
Tangent plane is horizontal then therefore the normal must be vertical in order to be perpendicular.

Dot product of the tangent plane with normal is = 0

Normal plane is given by the partial with respect to x,y,z evaluated at some points P(x0,y0,z0)

Putting that together I get
f(x,y,z)=x3y2-z
fx=3x2y2
fy=2x3y
fz=-1

Here is where I am completely stuck I know that I still don't have a normal vector because I do not have any points to plug into the partials.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Statement

Find all points on the surface at which the tangent plane is horizontal

z=x3y2

Things I know:
Tangent plane is horizontal then therefore the normal must be vertical in order to be perpendicular.

Dot product of the tangent plane with normal is = 0

Normal plane is given by the partial with respect to x,y,z evaluated at some points P(x0,y0,z0)

Putting that together I get
f(x,y,z)=x3y2-z
fx=3x2y2
fy=2x3y
fz=-1

Here is where I am completely stuck I know that I still don't have a normal vector because I do not have any points to plug into the partials.

Your original equation is of the form ##z = f(x,y)##. The tangent plane will be horizontal at any point ##(x,y,z)## where ##f_x(x,y)=0## and ##f_y(x,y)=0##.

Or, same thing, The vector you got, [itex]<3x^2y^2, 2x^3y, -1>[/itex] must be of the form <0, 0, a> to be vertical. Obviously we can take a= -1 but we need [itex]3x^2y^2= 0[/itex] and [itex]2x^3y= 0[/tex]. That will be true if x= 0 or if y= 0. In other words above the x and y axes.

hmm, so I can equal them together, and get

x=(3/2)y and y=2/3x

Don't really understand what the values represent?

1. What is a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a plane that touches a curved surface at a single point. It is used in calculus to approximate the behavior of a curved surface at a specific point.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent plane?

The equation of a tangent plane can be found by taking the partial derivatives of the surface equation and plugging in the coordinates of the point of tangency. The resulting equation will be the equation of the tangent plane.

3. What is a normal vector?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface at a specific point. It is used in calculus to determine the direction of the tangent plane at that point.

4. How is a normal vector related to a tangent plane?

A normal vector is used to determine the direction of the tangent plane at a specific point on a surface. The tangent plane is parallel to the normal vector at that point.

5. Why are tangent planes and normal vectors important?

Tangent planes and normal vectors are important in calculus because they allow us to approximate the behavior of a curved surface at a specific point. They are also used in physics and engineering to calculate forces and determine the direction of motion for objects on curved surfaces.