1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent planes and normal vectors

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find all points on the surface at which the tangent plane is horizontal

z=x3y2

Things I know:
    Tangent plane is horizontal then therefore the normal must be vertical in order to be perpendicular.

Dot product of the tangent plane with normal is = 0

Normal plane is given by the partial with respect to x,y,z evaluated at some points P(x0,y0,z0)

Putting that together I get
    f(x,y,z)=x3y2-z
    fx=3x2y2
    fy=2x3y
    fz=-1

Here is where I am completely stuck I know that I still don't have a normal vector because I do not have any points to plug in to the partials.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your original equation is of the form ##z = f(x,y)##. The tangent plane will be horizontal at any point ##(x,y,z)## where ##f_x(x,y)=0## and ##f_y(x,y)=0##.

4. Oct 31, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Or, same thing, The vector you got, [itex]<3x^2y^2, 2x^3y, -1>[/itex] must be of the form <0, 0, a> to be vertical. Obviously we can take a= -1 but we need [itex]3x^2y^2= 0[/itex] and [itex]2x^3y= 0[/tex]. That will be true if x= 0 or if y= 0. In other words above the x and y axes.

5. Oct 31, 2012 #4
    hmm, so I can equal them together, and get

x=(3/2)y and y=2/3x

Don't really understand what the values represent?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook