1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential force unit conversion

  1. Oct 30, 2012 #1
    Hi , if we have a rotating centrifuge at rpm "a" and we have the radius "b" of the centrifuge and then at the side i have a metal ball that weight's "c" I take the formula which you suggested me here F=ma where a=v2/r and out of that I get newtons, how do i convert them to like pascals? Because i read that somewhere they use newtons/square meter somewhere newtons/square millimeter and that confuses me.

    And would the calculus be different if i wanted to find out how much force on the side is exerted by a gas let's say than a solid like in this case a solid object?

  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    Hi Crazymechanic! :smile:
    A Pascal is a Newton per square metre …

    it's the SI unit "derived" from the base units of Newton and metre, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_derived_unit :wink:
    Exactly the same. :smile:
  4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Thanks Tim:)
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook