1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangents that pass through the origin

1. Nov 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At how many points on the curve 4x[tex]^{}5[/tex] - 3x[tex]^{}4[/tex] + 15x[tex]^{}2[/tex] + 6 will the line tangent to the curve pass through the origin?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea of how to even approach this... Erm, I fiddled around with the point-slope formula of a line

y = mx - mx1 + y1

where (x1, y1) is the point on the line/curve and m is the slope

and in order for the line to pass through the origin, then mx1 + y1 have to cancel out... But I have no idea of how to find a place on the line where this occurs... Am I going about this all wrong/is there an easier way to do it? If not, where do I go from here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I will assume that you mean "the curve y= [itex]4x^5- 3x^4+ 15x^2+ 6[/itex]" If x= [itex]x_1[/itex] then y= [itex]40x_1^5- 3x_1^4+ 15x_1^2+ 6[/itex] and m=y'= [itex]20x_1^4- 12x_1^3+ 20x_1[/itex]. Now use that "mx1+ y1= 0".
  4. Nov 18, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are on the right track. So for the tangent line m=y1/x1. And the slope of the tangent line is dy/dx. So dy/dx=y/x. If you put the y polynomial into that you will have problems actually solving for x. The polynomial degree is 5 and it doesn't factor. On the other hand, the question asks you just to count the roots. I'm not sure I really know an elegant way to do that, except by messing around with it's derivatives to figure out where it's increasing and decreasing etc.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?