Taylor Approximation: Show ∫f'(x)dx/f(x)=ln|f(x)|+C

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Nugso
Gold Member
Messages
170
Reaction score
10

Homework Statement



Show that [tex]∫f'(x)dx/f(x) = ln|(f(x)|+C[/tex] where f(x) is a differential function.


Homework Equations



First order Taylor approximation? [tex]f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I'm not really sure how to approach the question. It's my Numerical Methods homework, so I think I have to do it by using Taylor approximation. By applying the first order Taylor approximation I get:

[tex]ln|f(x)|=y, ln|f(a)| - ln|(f(x)| = (a-x)f'(x)/f(x)[/tex]

[tex]ln|(f(a)/f(x)| = (a-x)f'(x)/f(x)[/tex]

I'm kind of stuck here. Am I right in thinking that Taylor approximation is an appropriate way to approach the question?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nugso said:

Homework Statement



Show that [tex]∫f'(x)dx/f(x) = ln|(f(x)|+C[/tex] where f(x) is a differential function.


Homework Equations



First order Taylor approximation? [tex]f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I'm not really sure how to approach the question. It's my Numerical Methods homework, so I think I have to do it by using Taylor approximation. By applying the first order Taylor approximation I get:

[tex]ln|f(x)|=y, ln|f(a)| - ln|(f(x)| = (a-x)f'(x)/f(x)[/tex]

[tex]ln|(f(a)/f(x)| = (a-x)f'(x)/f(x)[/tex]

I'm kind of stuck here. Am I right in thinking that Taylor approximation is an appropriate way to approach the question?

Start again: you are on the wrong track.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Hi Ray, thanks for the reply. Would you mind giving me a hint? I really haven't a clue about the right track.
 
micromass said:
Why not take the derivative of the right-hand side?

I guess my teacher wants us to solve it by the difficult way, i.e using appropriate ways.
 
Nugso said:
I guess my teacher wants us to solve it by the difficult way, i.e using appropriate ways.

There is nothing wrong with using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to solve the problem. To verify that ##\int f(x) \, dx = F(x) + C##, just check that ##F'(x) = f(x)##.

That is an absolutely 100% correct way to do the question. In fact, such checking should always be done out of habit, whenever you are faced with a possible formula for the indefinite integral F(x) of an integrand f(x). That is a good way to catch errors.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person