Taylor expanding a physics formula

In summary: You are trying to solve for ##f## since your analysis corrects that formula. The equation$$ \frac{h^2}{2m} f^2 + h f - \Delta E=0$$is the quadratic equation to be solved.I know that but where did the c^2 go?I know that but where did the c^2 go?
SU403RUNFAST
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

So the original problem was that a stationary hydrogen atom changed states from excited to lower state and emitted a photon, i solved for the energy of the photon hf taking into account the kinetic energy of the recoiling atom since the photon released and the atom recoiling have equal and opposite momenta.
I came up with the formula, sorry i tried latexing everything but it wouldn't work for me:
DeltaE=-pc+(p^2)/2m, both momentum p's are the atoms. The problem says I need to taylor expand this formula for small deltaE and keep the first two terms. I don't know how to taylor expand something random like this, a physics formula.
Or it means taylor expand DeltaE=hf, but I am pretty sure its the first one... please help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have to find DeltaE in terms of E and m first, without the (unknown) momentum in it. Then assume E/(mc^2) is small.

But there is no E. This is part b of a problem, it says use the formula found in part a and taylor expand it.[my first formula that i solved for DeltaE=-pc+(p^2)/2m] I can replace p with mv, but there will be no E only deltaE. I don't know how to taylor expand something really. DeltaE=-mvc+.5mv^2 is after replacing p though. This question totally threw me off.

Oh and it says that the first two terms after expanding will provide the correction for the formula deltaE=hf=hc/lambda.

Conservation of momentum implies that ##p## is proportional to ##f##. Once you account for ##\hbar##s and ##\pi##s, energy conservation gives a quadratic equation for ##f## in terms of ##\Delta E##. I think the problem wants you to determine ##f## by finding the roots of the equation. The Taylor expansion is for the square root in the quadratic formula.

It looks like you saying my equation is wrong, so I have been solving for a new one, but am going in circles. I know that hf=deltaE-(p^2)/2m, this is my energy equation, and using momentum to plug in for deltaE or p in terms of other variables is not giving me a quadratic in any of my attempts

SU403RUNFAST said:
It looks like you saying my equation is wrong, so I have been solving for a new one, but am going in circles. I know that hf=deltaE-(p^2)/2m, this is my energy equation, and using momentum to plug in for deltaE or p in terms of other variables is not giving me a quadratic in any of my attempts

The equation in your OP has an incorrect minus sign in the ##pc## term, but the version above looks correct. I believe that ##p=hf/c##, so you need to use that to write the equation in terms of ##f##, ##\Delta E## and ##m##. You can then solve this for ##f## and use the Taylor expansion to compare to the approximation ##f = \Delta E/h##.

Ive been getting this same equation but two terms cancel out... hf=deltaE-[(hf/c)^2]/(2m), when you simplify hf's cancel out if you plug in deltaE=hf. If i leave the deltaE alone i get hf=deltaE-{([h^2][f^2])2m} all over c^2. It doesn't ever make a quadratic

SU403RUNFAST said:
Ive been getting this same equation but two terms cancel out... hf=deltaE-[(hf/c)^2]/(2m), when you simplify hf's cancel out if you plug in deltaE=hf. If i leave the deltaE alone i get hf=deltaE-{([h^2][f^2])2m} all over c^2. It doesn't ever make a quadratic

You don't plug in ##\Delta E =hf##, you are trying to solve for ##f## since your analysis corrects that formula. The equation

$$ \frac{h^2}{2m} f^2 + h f - \Delta E=0$$

is the quadratic equation to be solved.

Likes SU403RUNFAST
I know that but where did the c^2 go?

SU403RUNFAST said:
I know that but where did the c^2 go?

I was being sloppy and copied the 2nd formula you wrote. The denominator should be ##2mc^2##.

Likes SU403RUNFAST
okay thanks I am working on it

Well i solved the equation for two values, i set hf=x to simplify and make it easier, then using quadratic formula x=-mc^2 plus or minus the root of ([m^2][c^4]+[2mc^2][deltaE]), i have no idea on how to taylor expand the equation though...

So you have
$$hf = -mc^2 \pm \sqrt{(mc^2)^2 + 2 mc^2 \Delta E} = mc^2 \left(-1 \pm \sqrt{1+\frac{2 \Delta E}{mc^2}}\right).$$ As fzero said earlier, "The Taylor expansion is for the square root in the quadratic formula."

Likes SU403RUNFAST
So I got 1 + DeltaE/mc^2 - (DeltaE^2)/(m^2c^2), so to keep only the first two terms i ignore the last one i believe. If this is correct how is this a correction to DeltaE=hf=hc/lambda?

Your expansion isn't quite correct – probably just algebra mistakes. You want to keep all three terms. If you keep only the first two terms, you recover ##hf = \Delta E##. The third term of the expansion is what leads to the first correction to the energy of the photon.

Likes SU403RUNFAST
okay i see my mistake and fixed it, 1 + DeltaE/mc^2 - (DeltaE^2)/(2m^2c^4) how did you see the correction? As in how do you see that hf=deltaE from the taylor expansion

You have to plug the expansion into your expression for hf.

Likes SU403RUNFAST
thank you i have solved for the correction

What is Taylor expanding a physics formula?

Taylor expanding a physics formula is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function using a series of terms. It involves breaking down a function into a sum of simpler functions, known as Taylor series, to better understand its behavior.

Why is Taylor expanding a physics formula useful?

Taylor expanding a physics formula allows for the simplification of complex functions and provides a more accurate representation of a function at a specific point. It also allows for the estimation of values beyond the range of known data points.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor series is an infinite sum of terms that represents a function, while a Taylor polynomial is a finite sum of terms that approximates a function. A Taylor polynomial is often used to approximate a function up to a certain degree, while a Taylor series provides a more precise representation of the function.

What is the general formula for a Taylor series?

The general formula for a Taylor series is:
f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2 + f'''(a)(x-a)^3 + ... + (1/n!)(d^n/dx^n)(f(x-a)^n)

What are some applications of Taylor expanding a physics formula?

Taylor expanding a physics formula is commonly used in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to approximate functions in mathematical models, analyze the behavior of physical systems, and make predictions in scientific research.