1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansion of a scalar potential field

1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    Consider the potential ##U(\phi) = \frac{\lambda}{8}(\phi^{2}-a^{2})^{2}-\frac{\epsilon}{2a}(\phi - a)##, where ##\phi## is a scalar field and the mass dimensions of the couplings are: ##[\lambda]=0##, ##[a]=1##, and ##[\epsilon]=4##.

Expanding the field ##\phi## about the point ##\phi=\phi_{-}## (##\phi = \phi_{-}+ \varphi##) and keeping terms up to dimension four, we find

##U(\varphi)=\frac{m^{2}}{2}\varphi^{2}-\eta\varphi^{3}+\frac{\lambda}{8}\varphi^{4}##,

where ##m^{2}=\frac{\lambda}{2}(3\phi_{-}^{2}-a^{2})## and ##\eta = \frac{\lambda}{2}\lvert\phi_{-}\lvert##.

How do you derive this potential ##U(\varphi)## in explicit steps? Can you provide just the first two lines? I'll work out the rest for myself.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

What's ##\phi_-##?

4. Jan 13, 2016 #3
    ##\phi_{-}## is some fixed value of the potential ##\phi##.

5. Jan 13, 2016 #4
    Alright, I have made some progress with the problem.

##U(\varphi) = U(\phi)+U'(\phi)(\varphi-\phi)+\frac{U''(\phi)}{2}(\varphi-\phi)^{2}+\frac{U''(\phi)}{6}(\varphi-\phi)^{3} \cdots##

##=\frac{\lambda}{8}(\phi^{2}-a^{2})^{2}-\frac{\epsilon}{2a}(\phi - a)+\frac{1}{2}\bigg(\frac{\lambda}{4}(\phi^{2}-a^{2})(2\phi)-\frac{\epsilon}{2a}\bigg)(-\phi_{-})+\frac{1}{6}\bigg(\frac{3\lambda}{2}\phi^{2}-\frac{\lambda}{2}a^{2}\bigg)(-\phi_{-})^{2}##.

Now, I'm not really sure how many terms to keep based on the comment 'keeping terms up to dimension four'.

Can you help with that?

6. Jan 14, 2016 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Well, the expression is of order 4 in the fields. So you just keep all terms, and I still don't get what your manipulations mean. The first line makes sense, because it's the Taylor expansion around ##\phi##, but the 2nd line looks totally unrelated to the first.

Usually you shift the field such that the linear term vanishes. Most convenient is to expand around a (local) minimum of the potential.

7. Jan 14, 2016 #6
    The paper from which I took this problem mentions 'keeping terms up to dimension four' - why do they keep terms up to dimension four? I think the answer to this question lies in your third comment.

Sorry, my bad!

##U(\varphi) = U(\phi)+U'(\phi)(\varphi-\phi)+\frac{U''(\phi)}{2}(\varphi-\phi)^{2}+\frac{U''(\phi)}{6}(\varphi-\phi)^{3}+\frac{U'''(\phi)}{24}(\varphi-\phi)^{4} + \cdots##

##=\frac{\lambda}{8}(\phi^{2}-a^{2})^{2}-\frac{\epsilon}{2a}(\phi - a)+\bigg(\frac{\lambda}{4}(\phi^{2}-a^{2})(2\phi)-\frac{\epsilon}{2a}\bigg)(-\phi_{-})+\frac{1}{2}\bigg(\frac{3\lambda}{2}\phi^{2}-\frac{\lambda}{2}a^{2}\bigg)(-\phi_{-})^{2}+\frac{1}{6}\bigg(3\lambda\phi\bigg)(-\phi_{-})^{3}+\frac{1}{24}\bigg(3\lambda\bigg)(-\phi_{-})^{4}##.

But, I think this is unnecessary in lieu of your next comment.

##U(\varphi)=U(\phi_{-})+U'(\phi_{-})(\varphi-\phi_{-})+\frac{U''(\phi_{-})}{2}(\varphi-\phi_{-})^{2}+\frac{U''(\phi_{-})}{6}(\varphi-\phi_{-})^{3}+\frac{U'''(\phi_{-})}{24}(\varphi-\phi_{-})^{4} + \cdots##

Now, I did not mention it before, but ##\phi=\phi_{-}## is a local minimum, so that ##U'(\phi_{-})=0##.

Also, keeping terms to dimension four means that we truncate after the second power in ##(\varphi-\phi_{-})##.

Therefore, ##U(\varphi)=U(\phi_{-})+\frac{U''(\phi_{-})}{2}(\varphi-\phi_{-})^{2}##.

Am I correct so far?

Also, why do we shift the field such that the linear term vanishes?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  8. Jan 14, 2016 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

because it simplifies the further calculations a lot. In your case, if ##U''(\phi_-) > 0## for small deviations from ##\phi_-## you can treat the problem as a harmonic-oscillator problem, i.e., a linear differential equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook