Dimensional analysis and minima of a potential

Sorry, there is a lot of confusion in what you wrote. Let's just write the correct equations:##\phi^{3} - \phi a^{2} - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a} = 0####(\phi^{0}+ \epsilon \phi^{1})^{3} - (\phi^{0}+ \epsilon \phi^{1})a^{2} - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a}=0####(\phi^{0})^{3} + 3(\phi^{0})^{2} (\epsilon \phi^{1}) - a^{2} \phi^{0} - a^{2} \epsilon \phi^{1} - \frac{\epsilon}{
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Consider the Euclidean classical action ##S_{cl}[\phi] = \int d^{4}x (\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu} \phi)^{2} + U(\phi))##, with ##U(\phi) = \frac{\lambda}{8}(\phi^{2}-a^{2})^{2}-\frac{\epsilon}{2a}(\phi - a)##.

(a) Show that, in four-dimensional space-time, the mass dimensions of the couplings are ##[\lambda]=0##, ##[a]=1##, and ##[\epsilon]=4##.

(b) Assume that ##a>0##, ##\lambda>0##, and ##\epsilon>0##. Hence, show that the minima of the potential are at ##\phi_{\pm} = \pm a (1 \pm \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^4}+ ...)##.

(c) Hence, show that ##U(\phi_{-})-U(\phi_{+})=\epsilon [1+ O(\frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a^4})]##. For ##\epsilon << \lambda a^4##, what is the physical interpretation of ##\epsilon##?

(d) Expanding the field ##\phi## about ##\phi_{-}## ##(\phi=\phi_{-}+\varphi)##, and keeping terms up to dimension four, show that the potential ##U(\varphi) = \frac{m^2}{2}\varphi^{2}-\eta \varphi^{3} + \frac{\lambda}{8} \varphi^4##, where ##m^{2}=\frac{\lambda}{2}(3 \phi_{-}^{2}-a^{2})## and ##\eta = \frac{\lambda}{2}|\phi_{-}|##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) The dimension of mass in the kinetic energy term is 0. Therefore, the dimension of mass in the potential energy term must also be 0. Therefore, it must be the case that ##[\lambda]=0##, ##[a]=0##, and ##[\epsilon]=0##.

Can someone provide a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
The dimension of mass in the kinetic energy term is 0.

No. This would make the action dimensionful due to the ##d^4x## having mass dimension ##-4##. Please answer the following questions:
  1. What is the mass dimension of ##\partial_x##?
  2. What has to be the mass dimension of ##\partial_x \phi##?
  3. Consequently, what is the mass dimension of ##\phi##?
Once done, you should be pretty much on your way to obtaining the correct answer.

Thanks for the help!

Here's my new attempt:

(a) The mass dimension of the action ##S_{cl}[\phi]## is ##0##, and the mass dimension of ##d^{4}x## is ##-4##. Therefore, the mass dimension of ##\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^2## is ##4##, so that the mass dimension of ##(\partial_{\mu}\phi)## is ##2##. Moreover, the mass dimension of ##\partial_{\mu}## is ##1##. Therefore, the mass dimension of ##\phi## is 1.

Now, the mass dimension of ##U(\phi)## is again ##4##. Therefore, the mass dimensions of ##\frac{\lambda}{8}(\phi^{2}-a^{2})^{2}## and ##\frac{\epsilon}{2a}(\phi - a)## are ##4## and ##4##, respectively. Now, in the expression, ##(\phi^{2}-a^{2})^{2}##, the mass dimension of ##\phi## is ##1##. Therefore, the mass dimension of ##a## is ##1##, so that the mass dimension of ##(\phi^{2}-a^{2})^{2}## is ##4##. Therefore, the mass dimension of ##\lambda## is 0.

Also, the mass dimension of ##\frac{1}{2a}(\phi - a)## is ##0##. Therefore, the mass dimension of ##\epsilon## is 4.

We are working in some system of units (which is not specified) in which ##\hbar## and ##c## have implicitly been set equal to ##1##. Therefore, using the relations ##E = \hbar (kc)## and ##E=mc^2##, length has a mass dimension of ##-1##. Hence, ##d^{4}x## has a mass dimension of ##-4##. Am I correct?

(b) The minima of the potential are given by ##\frac{dU}{d \phi} = 0##. Therefore,

##\frac{\lambda}{4}(\phi^{2}-a^2)(2 \phi) - \frac{\epsilon}{2a} = 0##

##\lambda \phi (\phi^{2}-a^2) - \frac{\epsilon}{a} = 0##

##\phi (\phi^{2}-a^2) = \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a}##

##\phi^{3} - \phi a^2 - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a} = 0##.

I can't find a way to solve this cubic equation. Do I have to follow one of the standard procedures for solving a cubic equation (such as Cardano's method or Vieta's substitution) or is there some other way to find the expression for ##\phi_{\pm}##?

failexam said:
We are working in some system of units (which is not specified) in which \hbar and cc have implicitly been set equal to 11. Therefore, using the relations E=(kc)E = \hbar (kc) and E=mc2E=mc^2, length has a mass dimension of −1-1. Hence, d4xd^{4}x has a mass dimension of −4-4. Am I correct?
Correct.

failexam said:
I can't find a way to solve this cubic equation.
Remember that you only need to solve it to linear order in ##\epsilon##.

I see that the answer has a factor of ##\frac{1}{2}## in ##\phi_{\pm} = \pm a (1 \pm \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^4}+ ...)##, so that might indicate that binomial expansion of some sort is needed?

Also, there is a factor of ##\pm a## in ##\phi_{\pm} = \pm a (1 \pm \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^4}+ ...)##, which tells me that this could be got using ##\phi^{2} - a^{2} = (1+\frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^4} + ...)^2##.

This means that I have to take the factor of ##\phi## in ##\phi (\phi^{2}-a^2)= \frac{\epsilon}{2a}## on to the right-hand side of the equation to form ##(\phi^{2}-a^2)= \frac{\epsilon}{2 \phi a}## and then expand ##\frac{\epsilon}{2 \phi a}## to linear order in ##\epsilon##? o0)

Last edited:
I suggest first finding the minima for when ##\epsilon = 0## and then finding the perturbation of this minimum when ##\epsilon## is small, i.e., assume that ##\phi_\pm = \phi^0_\pm + \epsilon \phi^1_\pm + \mathcal O(\epsilon^2)## and make sure that the derivative is zero to linear order in ##\epsilon##.

Edit: Also, note that ##\phi^0 = 0## is a local maximum so you do not need to care about how it shifts.

Thanks for the answer.

Here's my new attempt:

(b) Let ##\phi = \phi^{0} + \epsilon \phi^{1} + \epsilon \phi^{2} + ...##.

Then, to zeroth order in ##\epsilon##,

##\phi^{3} - \phi a^{2} - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a} = 0##

##(\phi^{0})^{3} - (\phi^{0}) a^{2} = 0##

##\phi^{0}((\phi^0)^{2}-a^{2})=0##

##\phi^{0} = 0, a, -a##

Next, to first order in ##\epsilon##,

##\phi^{3} - \phi a^{2} - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a} = 0##

##(\phi^{0}+ \epsilon \phi^{1})^{3} - (\phi^{0}+ \epsilon \phi^{1})a^{2} - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a}=0##

##(\phi^{0})^{3} + 3(\phi^{0})^{2} (\epsilon \phi^{1}) - a^{2} \phi^{0} - a^{2} \epsilon \phi^{1} - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a} = 0##.

For ##\phi^{0} = 0##,

##-a^{2} \epsilon \phi^{1} - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a} = 0##

##\phi^{1} = - \frac{1}{\lambda a^3}##

For ##\phi^{0} = a##,

##a^{3} + 3a^{2} \epsilon \phi^{1} - a^{3} - a^{2} \epsilon \phi^{1} - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a} = 0##

##2 a^{2} \epsilon \phi^{1} = \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a}##

##\phi^{1} = \frac{1}{2 \lambda a^3}##

For ##\phi^{0} = -a##,

##-a^{3} + 3a^{2} \epsilon \phi^{1} + a^{3} - a^{2} \epsilon \phi^{1} - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a} = 0##

##2 a^{2} \epsilon \phi^{1} = \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a}##

##\phi^{1} = \frac{1}{2 \lambda a^3}##

Therefore, the stationary points are ##\phi = - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a^3}##, ##\phi = a+ \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^3}##, and ##\phi = -a + \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^3}##.

From the graph of the potential ##U(\phi)## against ##\phi##, it is obvious that the two minima are at ##\phi_{\pm} = \pm a (1 \pm \frac{1}{2 \lambda a^{3}})##.

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Looks reasonable, but you can do both ##\pm## at once. For ##\phi^0 = \pm a##:
$$
\phi^3 - a^2\phi - \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a} = 0
$$
First order term in ##\epsilon##:
$$
3 a^2 \phi^1 - a^2 \phi^1 = \frac{1}{\lambda a} \quad \Longrightarrow \quad \phi^1 = \frac{1}{2\lambda a^3}.
$$

Thanks! Here's my answer to the part (c).

(c) ##U(\phi_{-})-U(\phi_{+})##

##= \frac{\lambda}{8}(\phi_{-}^{4}- \phi_{+}^{4}) - \frac{\lambda a^{2}}{4}(\phi_{-}^{2}- \phi_{+}^{2}) - \frac{\epsilon}{2a}(\phi_{-} - \phi_{+})##, formed by expanding the brackets.

Now, ##\phi_{-} - \phi_{+} = - a (1- \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^{4}} + ...) - a (1 + \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^{4}} + ...) = - 2a + ...##
and ##\phi_{-} + \phi_{+} = - a (1- \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^{4}} + ...) + a (1 + \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^{4}} + ...) = \frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a^{3}} + ...##.

Therefore, ##\phi_{-}^{2} - \phi_{+}^{2} = - \frac{2 \epsilon}{\lambda a^{2}} + ...##.

Also, ##\phi_{-}^{2} + \phi_{+}^{2} = [- a (1- \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^{4}} + ...)]^{2} + [a (1 + \frac{\epsilon}{2 \lambda a^{4}} + ...)]^{2} = 2a^{2} + ...##.

Therefore, ##\phi_{-}^{2} - \phi_{+}^{2} = - \frac{4 \epsilon}{\lambda}##.

Therefore, ##U(\phi_{-})-U(\phi_{+}) = \epsilon + ...##.

Therefore, ##\epsilon## can be interpreted as the potential energy difference/barrier between the stable equilibrium states of the system in the limit that ##\epsilon << \lambda a^{4}##.

I have not been able to show rigorously that all the higher order terms in ##U(\phi_{-})-U(\phi_{+})## contain a factor of ##\frac{\epsilon}{\lambda a^{4}}##. Is there a way to do so rigorously?

bummp!

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a method used in physics and engineering to check the correctness of equations and to convert values from one unit to another. It involves identifying the physical quantities involved in a problem and analyzing their dimensions (e.g. length, mass, time) to ensure that they are consistent on both sides of an equation.

2. How is dimensional analysis used in science?

Dimensional analysis is used in science to simplify complex equations and to check for dimensional consistency. This is important because physical laws and equations must have the same dimensions on both sides in order to be mathematically and physically correct. It also allows for easier unit conversions and helps identify any errors or discrepancies in calculations.

3. What is a potential in physics?

In physics, a potential is a scalar field that describes the amount of potential energy per unit charge at any given point in space. It is often used in the context of electric or gravitational fields and is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of particles and objects in these fields.

4. What are minima in a potential energy graph?

Minima in a potential energy graph represent the points of lowest potential energy. These points can be either local minima (lower than all neighboring points) or global minima (the absolute lowest point). In physics, particles tend to move towards minima in potential energy as it represents a stable state with the lowest possible energy.

5. How are dimensional analysis and minima of a potential related?

Dimensional analysis is often used in the study of potentials to ensure that the equations used to describe them are dimensionally consistent. In addition, by analyzing the dimensions of a potential, scientists can determine the behavior of particles in that potential, including the location and stability of minima. Dimensional analysis and the study of minima in a potential can help provide a deeper understanding of the physical processes at play in a given system.