1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansion of an integral (for Thermodynamic Perturbations)

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    In thermodynamic perturbation theory (chapter 32 in Landau's Statistical Physics) for the Gibbs (= canonical) distribution, we have [itex]E = E_0 + V[/itex], where [itex]V[/itex] is the perturbation of our energy.

When we want to calculate the free energy, we have:
    [tex]e^{-F/T} = \int e^{-(E+V)/T} \mathrm{d}\Gamma[/tex]

We can expand the expression inside the integral for small values of [itex]V[/itex] to second order we obtain:
    [tex]e^{-F/T} = \int e^{E/T} (1 - V/T + (V/T)^2) \mathrm{d}\Gamma[/tex]

Now, the next step is to logarithmize this expression and then expand it in terms of [itex]V[/itex] again, to second order:
    [tex]F = -T \log \bigl( \int e^{E/T} (1 - V/T + (V/T)^2) \mathrm{d}\Gamma \bigr)[/tex]

But now I am stuck. I don't understand how to expand this in a series. The zeroth order still works great, and I obtain [itex]-T \log \int e^{E/T} = F[/itex], which is just what I want. But from the first order onwards I am stuck:
    What is the rule for Taylor expanding an integral? Especially, e.g., if I have [itex]f'(a) (x-a)[/itex] for first order, where exactly do I 'put' the [itex]x[/itex]? Inside the integral?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2
    So, I thought about this a little with a friend. I believe that I could see the integral as a sum, with a lot of different [itex]V_i[/itex], albeit them lying infinitesimally close to each other. Therefore, one could view the expansion with respect to [itex]V[/itex] as expansions with respect to a lot of different [itex]V_i[/itex] in this 'sum'. After this expansion one could imagine making the sum into an integral once more, such that the orders of [itex]V[/itex] are inside the integrals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook