Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Taylor expansion of dispersion relation - plasma physics

1. Sep 13, 2017 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2017 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

What's your problem?

4. Sep 13, 2017 #3
    I have no idea how to derive the equation

5. Sep 13, 2017 #4

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

We need more information than that. What have you tried? Have you looked at the references given in the paper?

6. Sep 13, 2017 #5
    I need help with the maths, I am unsure how or where to begin with this?

7. Sep 13, 2017 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

You labeled this thread as "A" for advanced. That implies that you have a graduate level understanding of the subject matter. What background do you have in this field? The paper you referenced is definitely at the "A" level, and you would need a graduate level background to be able to understand it or to reproduce any derivations it discusses.

8. Sep 13, 2017 #7
    My apologies, I thought the "A" was for the content level. I am a graduate but not in maths, it has been about 20 years since I studied anything like this.
    Any help people could provide would be greatly appreciated

9. Sep 13, 2017 #8

PeterDonis

2016 Award

It can reflect both. Sometimes there are various levels at which content can be discussed, so the thread level gives readers an idea of your background so we know what level the discussion should be at. But truly "A" level content very often (as in this case) requires an "A" level background to have a useful discussion, because pretty much any questions you could ask are only answerable at the "A" level.

10. Sep 14, 2017 #9

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The content of this thread is clearly A level, but it is impossible to help, if we don't know, where the problems are. For a very good introduction to transport theory and a brillant treatment of plasma physics, see the cited textbook by Landau and Lifshitz, vol. X (Kinetics).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted