Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Langmuir waves dispersion relation

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    I was just looking at an expression (a dispersion relation, omega^2 = ...) similar to that of warm electron's in a plasma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_oscillation expect with an extra imaginary term, which I think comes out from the full derivation of the dispersion relation for warm electrons. I am guessing the relation that everybody knows of is then the Real part of the expression I was looking at.
    My question is, can a purely imaginary term have some physical significance? Surely it isn't physical?

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2
    Typically imaginary numbers deal with phases

4. May 26, 2010 #3
    Mathematically, you can split a single-valued wave of arbitrary phase for each frequency component it contains into 2 components where the difference in phase of each frequency is 90 degrees. The more phase advanced of the 2 is called real while the least advanced is called imaginary. Both are necessary to reconstruct the original wave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook